Worlds view of pipe smokers. This is NOT why I smoke a pipe.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Thank you brian64.
I would suggest that some of you dust of your gmail accounts, and log in to Google and reply directly to the blog author as I did. Let him know that there are "legit" pipe smokers out their in the world. Not just a bunch of "me toos" swayed by bad movie renditions or what ever happens to be hip.

koalamonster

Lurker
Feb 19, 2012
I picked up pipe smoking as an alternative to cigarettes. None of my friends smoke so already I stood out among them. Pipe smoking just added to that. I enjoy the collecting aspect of it too. As a younger boy I collected trading cards, and then coins as I grew older. It is extremely enjoyable.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Well, ya see...I've got this great big red beard, and it comes with certain responsibilities... ;-)
I've always enjoyed the smell of pipe tobacco and it was something that I had been thinking over for quite some time. I would find myself buying cheap OTC cigarillos for camping trips or nights of drinking/debauchery. But I'd smoke 2/3rds of them and stub them out in disgust, as the taste soured and became unpalatable. I live in Canada and tobacco ain't cheap here, so it always seemed a waste.
I decided that if I was going to smoke tobacco, it may as well be something I enjoy! So, I got a $25 pipe and paid a visit to the local B&M tobacconist. I'm quite glad I did. I've since acquired another few ounces and 2 estates. Now I'm just waiting for spring to really get here. Luckily, it's been a warm February & March so I've gotten a dozen smokes in, and am looking forward to more.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I don't pay a damned bit of attention to these pointy headed intellectuals and their psycho-babble
You got that right! I just always thought that Meerschaums were cool and wanted to try one. I figured even if I didn't take to pipe smoking, I could keep it around as art. That was about 10 pipes ago! I smoke mainly alone and in the company of my wife, so I don't do it to look cool and I doubt that I've ever been hip. I do smoke in public, but I only take my pipe out if I know I'll have the time to sit and enjoy it. That's what it's always been about for me.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
My grandfather was a pipe smoker, he'd roll up a PA smoke but when he got a chance to just sit in peace he loaded his pipe. I was always fascinated with the different ones he had. And about a year ago he gave them to me (he quit years before) before he passed away. My first pipe in the morn is out of his cob and my before dinner pipe is out of his Meer, his pipe that he took to work is my pipe i take to work. (Its a Brylon "ThePipe" not to worried about anything happening to it lol)
So, I enjoy the peace it gives me the same way it was given to him. With a little help from Prince Albert, my all day smoke.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Never thought much about it. Maybe I was a pipe smoker in a past life? Either way, in 1975 I picked up my first pipe to try it out. Been puffing ever since. Seemed like the natural thing to do at the time. And I suspect I will still be doing it when it falls out of fashion again.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I am only 20 and smoke a pipe simply because I enjoy the finer things life has to offer and enjoy the period of relaxation. The variety of tobaccos and pipes available makes for a very enjoyable and rewarding hobby. I only smoke a couple of times a week. Society these days is too fast paced and everyone is thinking about themselves and not others. I hate it, I dont even use things like facebook because I value traditional methods of communication and found it to be incredibly superficial.

Sadly though there really is no pipe community in Australia. I have one other friend that smokes a pipe but the lack of availability and incredibly high prices means most people who smoke use cancer sticks.

bryanhayn

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
I've never been one to follow popular groupthink. I've always questioned everything anyone tells me; I'm a major cynic. I guess that's part of why I smoke a pipe. The reason I started smoking about a month ago wasn't to be cool/popular/unique/etc., it was because out of nowhere I was reminded of a time back in the 7th grade when me and a friend borrowed his grandpa's pipe and snuck away to smoke it. We were naughty rebels, and I guess smoking a pipe now reminds me of that, also I just love the flavor and relaxed mood it puts me in. When I thought of that time, I walked two blocks to the local B&M and bought myself a pipe and knew right away I would be doing this for a while. I'm still hesitant to smoke a pipe in crowded public places, which may be due to me having anxiety and being an extreme introvert, but I'm slowly getting more and more comfortable.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i see nothing wrong with being labeled a geek if it means i "avidly follow" anything i do. what good is a life if one doesn't pursue one's interests with passion?
i too smoke a pipe to get away from cigarettes. i'm still angry at the government and the tobacco companies for all the money they swindled from me through smoking cigs.
as for society being "neurotic": culture now is what it always has been. we're not smarter or living longer, any more than we are more insular or scared, than the average of the past history of the human race. maybe the methods of staying mainstream change, and the fringe groups look different, but that's about it.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Well... I wrote out a nice comment but the dude's setting for who can post SUCKS. I tried signing in to blogger - didn't work. I tried my WordPress account... nope.
I was going to invite him to come here and meet some real pipe smokers who vary greatly. If someone can manage to get a comment to post, can you do that?

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Here's my comment that I luckily copypasta'd before his site decided it hates me and my accounts. ;)
I smoke a pipe - and I'm a girl, a geek, and one of the first generation of computer nerds. However, those have nothing to do with each other. I don't smoke a pipe because I identify with a subculture and I've never seen the movies you reference. (I'm a bookworm and not a fan of movies.)
I smoke a pipe for the same reasons tobacco has been used as an herbal cure through every major culture in the world throughout history. It calms you, gives you a ritual of packing, lighting, and puffing that makes you make less rash decisions. It's like meditating, but you smoke the results. Native Americans used it as a peace offering, the Chinese used it to treat phantom pain in amputees, and in more recent history - mothers have used it to draw the poison out of bee stings and it was often prescribed for people with auto-immune disorders and bowel problems. Nicotine is a proven pain reliever.
As a lupus patient who is in chronic pain and fighting the malar rashes, I have a vested interest in anything that helps me survive long enough to raise my children. The medication I was on left me constantly sick and my wallet was sorely hurt. My husband restored and sold antique pipes and I started researching pipe tobacco. Did you know that it contains 499 fewer chemicals than cigarettes? It comes in tens of thousands of blends and flavors. You don't inhale pipe smoke - you absorb the nicotine through your salivary glands and the pain relief is instantaneous. The rashes that plague me now very rarely make an appearance. My great-grandmother also had an auto-immune disease and she used snuff from the time she was 8 years old and after lived a very productive life that ended at 88 years old. Tobacco was a last resort that her uncle gave her on her (supposed) death bed at 8 years old. Since I started smoking, I found out my grandfather did as well and now I have his pipes. My great-grandfather on the other side of the family did as well. The pipe connects me to my memories of them.
I'd invite you to come over to pipesmagazine.com and talk to our members. I'm not the only one with this sort of story. You'll find a friendly community full of people with a variety of interests who come together to discuss the art of pipe smoking. We do have some hipsters, we have some geeks, and we have a whole lot of "other."

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Well, I'm not going to prevent that the literary touchstones mentioned in the article don't in some way affect how I perceive or enjoy smoking a pipe, the bottom line is that I grew up in one of the few areas of the country where pipe smoking was still fairly common (East Tennessee). Until the last 3-4 years, there were always at least 5 or 6 B&Ms in this area, and almost all of the men in my family smoked pipes. When I started smoking cigarettes, it wasn't long until my father bought me my first briar as a birthday present. As soon as I got the hang of it and discovered how many different types of tobacco were available, I was hooked.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Whoever wrote that doesn't really understand the subject he/she is speaking on. First of all Holmes wasn't the only pipe smoker in the first Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes film. There was the gypsy lady in the alley, plus a number of guys puffing on clays at the boxing match just to name a few off the top of my head. Also I don't see why the writer only mentioned Holmes and Lord of the Rings when Cedric the Entertainer is never seen without his pipe in the movie Larry Crowne.
All ranting aside, I smoke a pipe because I love the flavor of the blends. It's a very relaxing, calming time that I really enjoy.
As for being a part of "geekdom", I'm a pipe smoker who plays ice hockey, reads books, loves listening to grunge/metal/hard rock/rap/country/and the Rat Pack, and I enjoy shopping for clothes for myself. If you want to try and pin me down to a geek, jock, musician, metrosexual or whatever good luck.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
This thread touched me. My post may be a confession or admission, or who knows?
I am not a cigarette refugee. Growing up in the fifties, it appeared everybody smoked. It looked to me that the pipe smokers seemed pleased with themselves. Cigar guys had a cloud preceeding their entrance, and the cigarette smokers always had their eyes half-closed to avoid the smoke-eye-burn from the ash-laden butt that vibrated when they spoke. The ciggies appeared a nervous, unhappy bunch. I surmised that the pipe guys knew some secret for serenity, as they appeared well-adjusted and confident. So, pipe-smoking went on my bucket-list.
At age 65, my term-life insurance policy expired. (here's the confessional part) It had a stipulation against smoking. I wasn't going to let an insurance investigation forfeit wifey's payout. That factored with the whacky notion I now "looked-the-part" I gave pipeing a try.
My benefits from it? Foremost, the serenity. There is also a beneficial self-indulgence factor with tobacco selection and procurement. Being more relaxed, I read more. I tend to reminisce more than before; pleasant memories. A puff before meals suppresses appetite just enough to have shrunk the love-handles. Coffee tastes better when accompanied by a puff. I smoke moderately, only outdoors, and don't inhale. Perhaps I am just a dabbler with this. Only ankle-deep, it feels right. I come here to contribute and learn. I rarely argue conflicting opinions, though.........my pipe won't let me.

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
I'm a Ph.D. clinical psychologist who, in addition to a child, family and adult practice, does a fair amount of forensic work and expert testimony. In other words, the resident psycho babble pinhead. It was interesting that the article based most of the opinions on fictional media and stereotyped groups, like hipsters. No real interest in the 98% (that's a made up number) of regular folk who smoke pipes.
I smoke pipes because it's relaxing. A good alternative to cigars. Pipes smell better to other people and are great for a short smoke.
My 20 year-old son and his college friends smoke pipes. They're not hipsters, just young adults who enjoy pipes on the back deck while chewing the fat. He turned me on to pipes a few months ago after I gave them up for about 30 years. Glad he did. We trade tobacco and pipes.
There's not a whole lot more to pipe smoking, to me at least. It's a nice repast.
If my son's friends are any indication, I predict pipe smoking will grow in popularity over the next five years. Just like cigar smoking.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I've re-read the blog a couple of times.

I fail to see any reason for anyone to take umbrage with the subject matter as presented.

A pleasant light read of one persons observations of the pipe as it presents in pop-culture today.
Relax and smoke a bowl folks (-:

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
"I'm a Ph.D. clinical psychologist"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mano, your first sentence was a "grabber".

Status
Not open for further replies.