PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Basically yes it is impossible.

Some people are trying to make the point that a pipe that won't pass a cleaner is a bad pipe. I disagree. If it draws well then I have no problem with it and don't think it's bad. I won't argue that it's not inconvenient. I'm just saying it's not bad by default and it has nothing to do with draw.
exactly. If a pipe smoked perfectly without passing a cleaner.. and you didn't need to insert a cleaner mid-smoke... then why would that not be a good pipe? To me, the pipe that passes a cleaner that you have to swab mid-smoke is the piece of shit.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Unless I'm smoking a filter pipe,I want them to pass a cleaner into the shank.(unless it's a System pipe).For me, swabbing the smoke channel in he shank / stem about halfway through the bowl takes out condensation from the inner walls and produces a noticeable upgrade in flavor, especially a larger bowl.In all my life as a smoker,I've had only one situation where the cleaner would not pass,no matter what I did.This was quite recently.The tenon had a close tolerance with end of the mortice with very little gap, where the shank drilling should have begun, so it should have been an easy slide right in.But the alignment was off by over 1/8".I own pipes that cost $45 and less purchased at my local CVS pharmacy that have better workmanship.If you're happy with your pipe, just smoke it.And this is just MY opinion, anyhow.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Deal breaker for me. Personal belief or preference, call it what you wish. If a piece of tobacco gets stuck, I packed too tight or there's a bit of moisture built up, I will run a pipe cleaner through the pipe to clear things out a bit. There are plenty of smokers that don't prescribe to this theory or practice which is fine. My pipe, my choice.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I am restoring a number of estate pipes for resale and could use a good set of needle files. There are a number of sets on Amazon but which are the best for pipe work? Can anyone recommend one?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Pipes that wont pass a pipe cleaner can have a tendency to gurgle because of airway obstruction and condensation as mentioned in a post above.

Too many well constructed pipes to be had to mess with one that might gurgle. If a pipe will pass a pipe cleaner you usually wont need to remove condensation with a pipe cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.