PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
It was brought up in the closed thread on corona virus about concerns as to prescription drugs and ingredients. Reading a little more on the subject it seems it is not a new concern and I was wondering your thoughts, whether you take some, or many meds, it also could impact the OTC pain relievers. And we can only surmise what else.
For further consideration:

Coronavirus Spurs U.S. Efforts to End China’s Chokehold on Drugs - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/economy/coronavirus-china-trump-drugs.html

Skeptical Cardiologist: Where Are My Generic Meds Made? - https://www.medpagetoday.com/publichealthpolicy/fdageneral/74513

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The U.S. has farmed out way too much manufacturing to take advantage of lower labor costs and lower living standards elsewhere. Pharmaceuticals made abroad really leave us vulnerable. Some folks get by with one or two or none at all, but those with a health problem or two can get up to a dozen or more prescription meds to keep living a life. One hopes a primary care doctor with enough pharmacological knowledge can track multiple drugs and make sure that everything is working in a good direction, since sometimes they are not.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
The U.S. has farmed out way too much manufacturing to take advantage of lower labor costs and lower living standards elsewhere. Pharmaceuticals made abroad really leave us vulnerable. Some folks get by with one or two or none at all, but those with a health problem or two can get up to a dozen or more prescription meds to keep living a life. One hopes a primary care doctor with enough pharmacological knowledge can track multiple drugs and make sure that everything is working in a good direction, since sometimes they are not.
You said it Tom! I feel that like other important supply chains, read strategic oil reserves that this should be treated much the same. The article on respirators states that supply chain are monitored, however when that as you said is off shore it adds variables we don’t need. Thanks for your thoughts :)

Reactions: BROBS

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I wish the health care providers and pharmacies would give some ongoing updates on what drugs are affected and how, if only to provide either peace of mind or a "heads-up, call your Dr to discuss alternatives." I'm afraid one day I'll try to refill a Rx for my daughter and they will say sorry, we're out of that for the indefinite future.

Reactions: brian64 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I wish the health care providers and pharmacies would give some ongoing updates on what drugs are affected and how, if only to provide either peace of mind or a "heads-up, call your Dr to discuss alternatives." I'm afraid one day I'll try to refill a Rx for my daughter and they will say sorry, we're out of that for the indefinite future.
They probably don’t want to tell people. Also stocks in those companies could suffer. The horror!

Reactions: brian64 and Bowie

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Beware: instead of updating you, they might be racking up prices of meds too, just as they are scalping with the toilet paper.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
The third link is the closest I could find so far to naming generics that come from China. But if we do not correct this it goes without saying there could be supply chain problems.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I would talk to your doctor and pharmacist and not trust internet sleuthing.

Reactions: boston

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
The third link is the closest I could find so far to naming generics that come from China. But if we do not correct this it goes without saying there could be supply chain problems.
Thanks Bengel, that's good info. Unfortunately she needs some respiratory meds that I'm sure are in high demand now. I hope that we and others on any meds are not forced to ration or take less than full doses.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Thanks Bengel, that's good info. Unfortunately she needs some respiratory meds that I'm sure are in high demand now. I hope that we and others on any meds are not forced to ration or take less than full doses.
This is why I posted, it is as critical if not more so than the virus. Talk to tour pharmacist!

Reactions: Bowie

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Hey and I am not trying to start panic just get us thinking about risks and outcomes.

Reactions: Bowie

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Hey and I am not trying to start panic just get us thinking about risks and outcomes.
Yep, it was a good thing to post. My wife and I are searching for and analyzing issues related to Rx issues these days. Need to prepare now vs panicking later.

Reactions: Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.