PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Had to smoke about half a tin of this before I really made up my mind about it. It's a rarity that it takes that many bowls for something to click with me, but now that it has, I love it. Straightforward Burley, VA, and Black Cavendish. Perfect ribbon cut and good moisture in the tin, only needs about 10 minutes or so of dry time and we're good to go. First light is a nice, mellow, sweet flavor, with natural sweetness from the Virginia and you can pick up a little bit of the topping too, something that tastes almost like marshmallow and a hint of cinnamon. Second light gives you more of that cinnamon flavor and some nutty, toasty, baked bread flavors from the burley. The last half of the bowl really comes alive and takes on a burnt sugar sort of caramel flavor, and the cinnamon taste is present until the end. There is also that nice nutty, buttery, fresh bread flavor all the way through the bowl. I remember someone posted on here quite a while back about a tobacco that tasted like fresh baked bread, and WO Larsen Old Fashioned has it in spades. This blend will bite if it's not treated with respect, but with slow puffing it was nice and mellow with no mouth scorch. It also burns down to the merest of gray ash and leaves no goop. All in all, this blend really defines an all day smoke for me. Mellow and well behaved enough to puff on without thinking about it, and a good late night treat after a big meal. I will be buying more of this to cellar for sure!

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
You and I seem to be on the same wave length when it comes to tobacco. First Black Frigate, now this. :D
I love W.O. Larsen Old Fashioned. It's one of only about three aromatics I actually go out of my way to keep a stock of.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Glad you liked it bro! It was a win win, I love the pipe!

Jul 15, 2011
Aromatics and English are about the only two types of tobaccos I smoke anymore, so I have lots of aromatics to choose from. The first couple of times I tried it, it gave me a bit of tongue bite and was a little flavorless, but I tried smoking it in two brand new pipes, so it might not have been the best choice. After trying it in a fully broken in pipe, I started to like it more and more, but it took a few days to really get all the flavor nuances out of it. It is definitely a great blend and is making a great hot weather smoke. And I agree, we are on the same wavelength as far as tobaccos.
Edit: Dhizzy sneaked up on me! Yea dude I love this stuff. Once I really understood it, it was just an instant hit with me. I have to go slow or else it will give me some scorch, but I found a way to smoke it so it stays cool. I really like the other stuff you sent me too. Glad you are enjoying your pipe!

pipeclubsi

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
One of my favourites as well! I also like Larsen's "1864" Perfect Mixture and "Signature" Vintage Mixture.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
WO Larsen probably has some of the best aromatics I've smoked. Haven't tried Old Fashioned, but you're making me curious.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
marshmallow... cinnamon... baked bread... but does it taste like TOBACCO?
Not for me, thanks.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
marshmallow... cinnamon... baked bread... but does it taste like TOBACCO?
It's an aromatic. It's not supposed to. This is like saying "But does it taste like marshmallows and cherries?" after someone describes an English blend. :crazy:

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
I just finished a tin of Old Fashioned and I'm smoking Signature now. I love W O Larson blends, although I'm primarily an English smoker. A change is as good as a rest.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Juvat, there are quite a few aromatics that still taste like real tobacco. MacBaren Vanilla Cream and McClelland 221b Honeydew were both favorites of mine when I smoked aromatics. They both have light casings that don't get in the way of the actual leaf. The blend in question seemed, to me, a bit cloying from the description with only the merest mention of the actual tobacco taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.