SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Today, while driving back from a beach in New Jersey through Staten Island, my girlfriend was giving me a hard time for not talking. I explained to her I was a bit tired, tired from all that sun, tired of the sweat on my ass chafing with sweat, tired and in a state of concentration as I was wary of all the stop and start traffic. I was fatigued and I wanted to get home quickly, and safely. Don't you know within minutes of explaining this a car a few lengths in front of us in the center lane rear ended a black SUV. I witnessed this in the right lane going along at a snails pace. Alerted when I heard that particular sound of a bumper snapping against bumper and as I maneuvered to get ahead and out of the way with bits and pieces of car detailing strew across the lanes, I could see the woman so clearly, who did the rear-ending. Her face was resting on the air back looking like she fell asleep while laughing. Time slowed down and I saw her so clearly, so surreally. Her one upper front tooth looked a bit snaggled as it slightly indented the large white bladder on her steering wheel.

In the moment I had all my wits about me and I over took them carefully and pulled in the shoulder to see if they needed help. In the rearview mirror I watched the SUV pull to the side of the road and as if her car was stuck to it, it followed the same trajectory until the SUV driver straightened out, and that lady in her car kept going down into a shallow reedy ravine until it disappeared in the high grass. A few other cars, were already pulled over and a few guys were getting out to help, hunky FDNY looking types, and I thought to myself what use will this scrawny man be? So I drove on home a bit fixated on that expression on her face which rested on the air bag, hoping that she just passed out momentarily, and that she will be alright. I make no light of this account but it it felt for a second like some discarded scene from a David Lynch film. Something mundane yet surreal and sad, as accidents always are.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Today, while driving back from a beach in New Jersey through Staten Island, my girlfriend was giving me a hard time for not talking. I explained to her I was a bit tired, tired from all that sun, tired of the sweat on my ass chafing with sweat, tired and in a state of concentration as I was wary of all the stop and start traffic. I was fatigued and I wanted to get home quickly, and safely. Don't you know within minutes of explaining this a car a few lengths in front of us in the center lane rear ended a black SUV. I witnessed this in the right lane going along at a snails pace. Alerted when I heard that particular sound of a bumper snapping against bumper and as I maneuvered to get ahead and out of the way with bits and pieces of car detailing strew across the lanes, I could see the woman so clearly, who did the rear-ending. Her face was resting on the air back looking like she fell asleep while laughing. Time slowed down and I saw her so clearly, so surreally. Her one upper front tooth looked a bit snaggled as it slightly indented the large white bladder on her steering wheel.

In the moment I had all my wits about me and I over took them carefully and pulled in the shoulder to see if they needed help. In the rearview mirror I watched the SUV pull to the side of the road and as if her car was stuck to it, it followed the same trajectory until the SUV driver straightened out, and that lady in her car kept going down into a shallow reedy ravine until it disappeared in the high grass. A few other cars, were already pulled over and a few guys were getting out to help, hunky FDNY looking types, and I thought to myself what use will this scrawny man be? So I drove on home a bit fixated on that expression on her face which rested on the air bag, hoping that she just passed out momentarily, and that she will be alright. I make no light of this account but it it felt for a second like some discarded scene from a David Lynch film. Something mundane yet surreal and sad, as accidents always are.
Glad you weren’t entangled in the accident.
But I really like how you describe the experience as feeling like “some discarded scene from a David Lynch film.” I feel I know exactly what you mean

Jan 27, 2020
Glad you weren’t entangled in the accident.
But I really like how you describe the experience as feeling like “some discarded scene from a David Lynch film.” I feel I know exactly what you mean

Ha thanks, David Lynch films often feel to me like I'm watching something sordid in a read view mirror. Although, I have yet to see Inland Empire, have you?

Well, I hope that lady is ok. Don't want to seem like I am being flippant with someone's bad fortune but if I was a mile behind them I might still be sitting in my car right now!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Passengers, even our loved ones, are often blithely unaware of of the traffic we're navigating, wanting to show us a picture on their phone, or some other distraction. I had a friend who said she'd pull over at a rest stop any time she yawned a second time. I dozed off for a second or two after lunch on a road trip by myself, luckily with no mishap, but feeling fairly warned. A little light chatter, a few jokes, sometimes help keep the driver alert, but the driver is never a passenger and needs to stay focused.

Jan 27, 2020
Actually, my Mom who is in her mid 70s totaled her car a few months ago and doesn't recall what happened. I wonder if this woman and my Mom lost consciousness for a few minutes after impact. My Mom wants to buy another car and I'm not sure if that's a good idea but what she is getting from her insurance company and the cost of cars these days, maybe I will be off the hook from a fight over it, although driving down to her every other week to do her errands etc. is really a pain in the ass, but what else can the 'good son' do? Especially if he's not rich by any means, meaning financially, not in spirit.

I agree that conversation above a certain level can be rather distracting especially when one is tired, I was much more chatty in the morning but that likely the case in or out of a car.

I feel asleep once when driving, the first year or so I had my license. I was on a road trip with a friend and we woke with me driving on some grassy median and she thought I went "off road" on purpose. That hasn't happened since! Sometimes a 15min nap at a rest stop can really replenish a person.

Last edited:
Reactions: LotusEater
I had two similar accidents like this. Trying to get to the Lincoln Tunnel in the morning, in crawling traffic suddenly a lady rear ended me. Thankfully no visible damage, and I was getting late for a meeting, so I sternly admonished her to drive carefully and went about my business. Happy ending.

The second time it was not so lucky. On the approach to Holland Tunnel a truck rear ended me so violently (Also in crawling traffic) that it bent the frame of my car and totaled it. Sad ? I sternly admonished the trucker guy in the same way, but also called the police. They had horrible insurance - it took my insurance 4/5 months to recover the deductible

Jan 27, 2020
Just curious, did she witness the accident as well ? What was her reaction ? Did she change her tune ? trying to distract you while driving ?

She saw it after is happened. Not tooting my horn but I tend to be hyper observant when driving. And yea she changed her tune a bit, and I rubbed in my point in any annoying way the rest of the drive home.

Jan 27, 2020
I had two similar accidents like this. Trying to get to the Lincoln Tunnel in the morning, in crawling traffic suddenly a lady rear ended me. Thankfully no visible damage, and I was getting late for a meeting, so I sternly admonished her to drive carefully and went about my business. Happy ending.

The second time it was not so lucky. On the approach to Holland Tunnel a truck rear ended me so violently (Also in crawling traffic) that it bent the frame of my car and totaled it. Sad ? I sternly admonished the trucker guy in the same way, but also called the police. They had horrible insurance - it took my insurance 4/5 months to recover the deductible

On Wednesday afternoon I was near the GWB on the Cross Bronx and was nearly merged into the far right lane and this truck just behind decided he was intent on being in that lane in front of me. The dude forced me up on the trash strewn raised shoulder and had no where to go. It was a miracle that I got back on the road.

• Sad
Reactions: cshubhra

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
My wife has passenger anxiety so it's a distraction of sudden unnecessary infant jerking movements and unsolicited oblivious verbal ticks and chirps. If there is limited visibility, dusk or night driving it is increased. Usually I feel like someone has been smacking my lumbar spine and trapezius muscles with a baseball bat upon arrival to our destination. I'm unlikely to have the luxury of a nap or falling asleep at the wheel.

I LOVED your written depiction of the entire event and am glad you stayed clear of the excitement.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Ha thanks, David Lynch films often feel to me like I'm watching something sordid in a read view mirror. Although, I have yet to see Inland Empire, have you?

Well, I hope that lady is ok. Don't want to seem like I am being flippant with someone's bad fortune but if I was a mile behind them I might still be sitting in my car right now!
It feels like you are watching something sordid because you probably are. I get what you mean about the rear view mirror though.

I’ve only seen a few minutes of Inland Empire but recently watched Lucky with Harry Dean Stanton- quite good in my opinion.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

WhiteDevilPress

Might Stick Around
I have yet to see Inland Empire, have you?
As some one who rates "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Dr." in my top ten, I was underwhelmed with "Inland." It could have been great with some tactful editing, but not sure self-editing is in his skill set. As to the "Twin Peaks" sequel, I decided that he's either incapable of writing a succinct ending, or has given in to the commercial urge to lay groundwork for more series continuity. Fascinated by the man, though.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Drive Defensively is just a polite way of saying: DRIVE PARANOIDLY. There's at least one idiot out there with your name on his bumper.

Some years back, my sister was driving home southbound on I-5 in Oregon, passing a semi-trailer when a 15-year-old on her learner's permit tried to pass both of them by going in between them. Totaled my sister's PT Cruiser and she spent a day and a bit in the hospital. Don't know about the trucker or the teeny-bopper.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Many years ago, a tire came off a tractor trailer rig my wife was behind. It bounced over her car and she saw in the rear view mirror that it landed on the hood/windshield area of a car behind her.

Jan 27, 2020
Oh man... you won't believe this in conjunction with my original post just a few days ago. So, we were driving back from Central Park down the FDR (one of the two highways that run on either side of Manhattan) and traffic suddenly slowed down as it often does and I stopped somewhat abruptly but had left enough room between me and the car in front of me, as I am generally pretty good about. Well, this car behind me smacked into us...I got out but thankfully no damage done despite being able to feel it in my lower back. The driver was an affectable German guy with his family in the car. I was gracious about the whole thing and we shook hands. When I got back in the car my girlfriend was verbatim "I knew this was going to happen! No visibility!" she was referring to the fact that I have a bunch of stuff stacked in the back hatch area and you can't really see out the rear window. As if having eyes in the back of my head would of stopped that dude from stopping short! I was so pissed at her rather than the driver the whole way home and still...