PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I recall an article in Pipes & Tobaccos magazine about 20 years ago. The author reflected upon the time when he was a college freshman at Ole Miss and stopped into a local tobacconist in Oxford, MS, to purchase his first pipe. He bought a pipe and asked the proprietor what tobacco he would recommend. The proprietor pointed to another customer in the store and said, “why not ask Mr. Faulkner?”

I’ll bet William Faulkner would have been a good pipe smoker to converse with!

Last edited:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
"Oh, no," he answered, "I never smoke a new corn-cob pipe. A new pipe irritates the throat. No corn-cob pipe is fit for anything until it has been used at least a fortnight."

"How do you manage then?" I asked. "Do you follow the example of the man with the tight boots;--wear them a couple of weeks before they can be put on?"

"No," said Mark Twain, "I always hire a cheap man--a man who doesn't amount to much, anyhow--who would be as well--or better--dead, and let him break in the pipe for me. I get him to smoke the pipe for a couple of weeks, then put in a new stem, and continue operations as long as the pipe holds together."

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
The historian in me is of the "kill your idols" variety, meaning that I'd rather not meet anyone that has since deceased and was not already known to me personally because to do so would likely be a disappointment for both parties involved. There is a tendency to overly venerate those historical figures we like, and to overly demonize those we do not. To be sure, some people absolutely deserve such judgment, and to evince a pose of impartiality would be disingenuous and immoral. But most people are a complex mixture of contradictions, good deeds, and bad vices. I guess what I am saying in my characteristically pretentious and long-winded way is that I do not want to go back into time to meet anyone.

But if I were forced to choose? Maybe Christopher Hitchens or James Baldwin. Neither smoked pipe to my knowledge, but they did smoke, and are to my mind the best essayists of the 20th century and brilliant orators; so, if nothing else, the conversation would be good even if it would end up one-sided.