PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Imagine you have the chance to sit, smoke, and talk (or argue) with anyone who's ever smoked a pipe. Who would it be and why? (Deceased humans only. Feel free to affix a top 3.)

Reactions: Servant King

The top one is William Faulkner.
I figured that you were fishing for that one. That's why I included the others. Sure is a dead ringer for a young Earnest.
I'm not sure I'd want to meet him though. He was known for periods of uncomfortable mania, periods of deep depression, and heavy drinking; and, I'm not sure which one I'd rather be around.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wanting to hear someone speak, as at a podium, and wanting to spend some time with someone are two different things. So much would depend on the chemistry. Would Einstein care to speak with someone who is not mathematical? Would Twain just do his podium routine anyway, and do all the talking?

Many of the famous pipe smokers were renown and some had probably ceased listening to others who hadn't earned their respect and trust. I have no interest in basking in the sunshine of some great person just for the privilege.

Hemingway might be a wonderful conversation or a complete asshole ... he readily did both. I guess if he liked me, it would go okay. I had a friend and mentor like him for a while, though it was a bit dangerous at times. This guy would have been a peril to Ernest himself. I'd have told Ernie, don't get boxing with this guy, trust me.