PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
“JANESVILLE — If you spark up a long, stinky Cohiba cigar inside Travis Kropf’s new tobacco emporium on Janesville’s south side, The Happy Piper, Travis and his spouse Crystal Kropf likely will ask you to move your smoke outdoors.”

I doubt they’ll be around long with this attitude

I always welcome a shop that has any interest in pipes but as a guy who works in a pipe shop cigars, especially those enjoyed in our lounge are a much larger part of the business than pipe sales

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
“JANESVILLE — If you spark up a long, stinky Cohiba cigar inside Travis Kropf’s new tobacco emporium on Janesville’s south side, The Happy Piper, Travis and his spouse Crystal Kropf likely will ask you to move your smoke outdoors.”

I always welcome a shop that has any interest in pipes but as a guy who works in a pipe shop cigars, especially those enjoyed in our lounge are a much larger part of the business than pipe sales
It may be an attitude forced on them by local laws & regulations concerning smoking. Plans to build an outdoors or covered smoking area was mentioned later in the story.

Reactions: HeavyLeadBelly

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A great many members will have been eagerly awaiting this wee rant. So. here 'tis!

I might, years ago, have sought reeds and such from The Happy Piper but, alas. I could never master the chanter. As most here understand, I detest the misapplication of the term "piper". I'm guessing those that insist on such misapplication are making a lame attempt a making pipe smoking "softer" and perhaps sway the "antis" in their quest to snuff out smoking entirely. Lotsa luck with that tactic.

We smoke pipes! I doubt very few of us play the fife, tootle on a flute or manipulate the "War Pipes." To so misuse the term is denigrating to pipers the world over who have invested the hours of practice, not to mention the expense of the instruments and lessons required to merit the appellation "piper."

So, any "smoke" shop trying to appease or escape the notice of the "anti-smoking" crowd through such misapplication would certainly not be welcoming! Of course the oversized, "Cigars", "Cigars" would most likely negate such an intention. I just, for the life of me, cannot understand why some pipe smokers wish to obscure the fact that they are., in fact, smokers! Are they embarrassed? Mortified?

I thank you for your kind and, I'm sure, serious attention and consideration to this wee rant.:sher:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A great many members will have been eagerly awaiting this wee rant. So. here 'tis!

I might, years ago, have sought reeds and such from The Happy Piper but, alas. I could never master the chanter. As most here understand, I detest the misapplication of the term "piper". I'm guessing those that insist on such misapplication are making a lame attempt a making pipe smoking "softer" and perhaps sway the "antis" in their quest to snuff out smoking entirely. Lotsa luck with that tactic.

We smoke pipes! I doubt very few of us play the fife, tootle on a flute or manipulate the "War Pipes." To so misuse the term is denigrating to pipers the world over who have invested the hours of practice, not to mention the expense of the instruments and lessons required to merit the appellation "piper."

So, any "smoke" shop trying to appease or escape the notice of the "anti-smoking" crowd through such misapplication would certainly not be welcoming! Of course the oversized, "Cigars", "Cigars" would most likely negate such an intention. I just, for the life of me, cannot understand why some pipe smokers wish to obscure the fact that they are., in fact, smokers! Are they embarrassed? Mortified?

I thank you for your kind and, I'm sure, serious attention and consideration to this wee rant.:sher:
I agree. Terms such as piper and hobby seem both condescending and escapist at the same time. Denying the term smoker as if they're ashamed of being a smoker.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
One county over from us. We'll definitely check it out and report back to y'all.

However they choose to describe the nature of their business, if they have a good crowd and things I want to buy, I will happily travel to them.

S.A. DeVault

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2022
Southern Wisconsin
I live within walking distance of this place. The man is very knowledgeable when it comes to pipes and cigars, and I try to give them all my business, even if it means paying more for a tin than I would online. About the quote from the Gazette about not smoking inside the establishment. The first time I went in, I asked him if he had plans for a lounge. He did. The government of Wisconsin said no. Some might say, but there are other lounges in Wisconsin, and there are, but from what he said they have been grandfathered in. No new lounges in the state.

Reactions: The Happy Piper
Aug 27, 2023

As the owner of The Happy Piper I have to correct you. That is not my attitude. That was written by the newspaper in response to Wisconsin's Clean Air Act of 2009 which states that there is no smoking in any indoor commercial location unless you were grandfathered in prior to 2009. Do I like how the newspaper phrased it? Absolutely not. The simple fact is that my customers can not legally smoke in my shop. However, the newspaper decided to begin their story with that very confusing and misleading opener. I have the largest selection of premium cigars, traditional tobacco pipes, and pipe tobacco in my area. I would love to allow smoking in my shop, but can not due to current Wisconsin state laws.

Aug 27, 2023
wish them the best of luck (unless they're super bastards, which I doubt but... you never know). The way a space like that can be transformed sometimes amazes me.
Thank you for the good wishes! I can assure you that we are not bastardly in any sense of the word. We turned an old rundown gas station into a beautiful pipe and cigar shop and look forward to many years here.

Aug 27, 2023
It may be an attitude forced on them by local laws & regulations concerning smoking. Plans to build an outdoors or covered smoking area was mentioned later in the story.
Yes sir, Wisconsin has some of the most restrictive laws regarding tobacco. It's a state law that restricts smoking in my shop. I do have plans to create a comfortable outdoor smoking area in the future. Thank you for reading the whole article, even as badly as it was written.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
As the owner of The Happy Piper I have to correct you. That is not my attitude. That was written by the newspaper in response to Wisconsin's Clean Air Act of 2009 which states that there is no smoking in any indoor commercial location unless you were grandfathered in prior to 2009. Do I like how the newspaper phrased it? Absolutely not. The simple fact is that my customers can not legally smoke in my shop. However, the newspaper decided to begin their story with that very confusing and misleading opener. I have the largest selection of premium cigars, traditional tobacco pipes, and pipe tobacco in my area. I would love to allow smoking in my shop, but can not due to current Wisconsin state laws.
Thank you for clarifying, and good luck with your shop.

The "news media" are typically a bunch a vipers...on a good day.