PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Just got this in my inbox, for all you Wisconsinites and freedom lovers:

PCA Endorses Wisconsin Cigar Bar Legislation​

This week, the Premium Cigar Association (PCA) endorsed new legislation that would allow cigar bars in Wisconsin for the first time since 2009.

Assembly Bill 451 removes the date, June 3, 2009, by which a “tobacco bar” had to be in business in order to operate as a bar that allows smoking. It only allows for cigars and pipes, and the establishments must have 15% of gross annual income of on-premises cigars or pipe tobacco sales.

The legislation’s primary patron is Representative Nate Gustafson, and the bill has an additional twenty-two sponsors in the state House of Representatives, along with six members of the Wisconsin State Senate. According to PCA director of state advocacy Glynn Loope, Representative Gustafson’s office feels good about the bill, which may be heard soon in the State Affairs Committee.

Loope stated, “Yesterday, we had a productive discussion with Representative Gustafson’s office, and PCA provided its endorsement of the bill. This legislation is good for the local and traveling cigar patrons of Wisconsin, good for small businesses that can create a welcoming atmosphere for discerning adults, and good for the state. Once again, legislators are recognizing that cigars are different.”

PCA hopes the legislation will advance through at least one chamber before the end of the year, as it may be drawn into the 2024 session.
Don’t know that the current guv would sign this law — if it makes it that far — but here’s hoping.

S.A. DeVault

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2022
Southern Wisconsin
I ask my local tobacconist for any updates on this legislation whenever I stop in, eagerly anticipating a pipe and cigar lounge a few blocks from me, and maybe organising a club for southern Wisconsin/Stateline area.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I ask my local tobacconist for any updates on this legislation whenever I stop in, eagerly anticipating a pipe and cigar lounge a few blocks from me, and maybe organising a club for southern Wisconsin/Stateline area.

I don't know exactly where you are in the state, but there are two lounges that were grandfathered in before the ban in southern WI. Uhle's in Milwaukee and some fancy cigar bar in Madison. There is also a Milwaukee Pipe Club that meets weekly in Oak Creek.

If you're more central or western, my pipe smoking wife and I are moving to Green County next year and would be happy to join/help found a local club!

S.A. DeVault

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2022
Southern Wisconsin
I don't know exactly where you are in the state, but there are two lounges that were grandfathered in before the ban in southern WI. Uhle's in Milwaukee and some fancy cigar bar in Madison. There is also a Milwaukee Pipe Club that meets weekly in Oak Creek.

If you're more central or western, my pipe smoking wife and I are moving to Green County next year and would be happy to join/help found a local club
I'm in Rock Co.
Uhle's Bishop's Move blend is the stuff of my dreams