PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JoBo

Lurker
Oct 2, 2020
Sussex, England
New to pipes but loving it so far and can see it being a regular pass time.

The first pipe I bought was a £20 cheapo from Amazon. Good quality, surprisingly, but it came with wire cages that sit in the bottom of the bowl. What are your thoughts on these? I have tried them and they allow complete combustion without the damp goo but as the burn is suspended above the bottom of the bowl the cake will not form which I see as a disadvantage.

Interested in your thoughts.

I've never had a problem with tossing the dottle. It does add to the flavors, and I feel no more like I am wasting tobacco that I do in tossing a cigar butt.
But, some guys like those cage things. I always thought that they were more for people who use pipes for paraphernalia. But, I guess even Nording sells those stones to put in the bottom of the pipe that do the same thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the pipe works for you, it's not a bad thing, but there is reason most pipes don't have them. Most find them unnecessary, and as mentioned in the earlier post, it reduces the size of the chamber. Most of us have at least several pipes, so I'd make your other pipes of the screen-less kind.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
What kind of pipe did you buy from Amazon? Wire screens at the bottom of the bowl are usually found in pipes used to smoke cannabis so that you don't suck ash and burning embers directly into your lungs as you deeply inhale the smoke

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Can't see any reason to use a screen unless you're worried about packing too tight and restricting the air flow. Otherwise use a nail or pipe tool or better yet reload the bowl. We all do that from time to time.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have a Peterson XL02 that because of the drilling is very difficult to smoke all the way to the bottom, this means valuable (especially UK prices?) tobacco is lost.
To stop this I use Philtpads Chalk buttons which stop the wasted tobacco but do reduce the bowl size somewhat.

6149__big_250x200.jpg

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
If it is this ebony wood pipe from Amazon, the wire pipe screens may help protect the pipe. I understand that ebony can crack, which is why not many pipes are made from it.