PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I think he probably looked around and thought that’ll work . It works great. Doesn’t get hard, it’s safe, no odor and it Seems like it stays for awhile. I have used it countless times. No issues. It’s probably hard for most to find. It’s a sort of Mexican thing.
That’s awesome. Having little hair left, except on my face, brilliantine probably would be overkill for me but it’s wonderful to hear stories like this. Thank you for sharing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No but I did an extensive ream and alcohol/charcoal soak so that may have done something. After that tested some others that I haven’t touched and most are tight - with varying degrees.
Did you have the stem out for any length of time?
Certainly dryness can cause a sense that it's tighter, but it's just there's nothing to lubricate the facing of the mortise with the tenon.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Did you have the stem out for any length of time?
Certainly dryness can cause a sense that it's tighter, but it's just there's nothing to lubricate the facing of the mortise with the tenon.
About 3 days out. Certainly possible but others are tight as well. Lubrication makes sense so we’ll see how that goes. The thing about the dryness is that wood shrinks as it dries. Briar being dense probably doesn’t move quickly but over weeks of extreme dry probably makes a difference.

Reactions: Reggie

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Where it's dry for long periods, yeah, pipes will dry out and the stems get tight. Wood shrinks when dry. So if it's super tight, you roll up a little 180 grit and spin it once or twice, takes very little to loosen the fit. Then in summer when it's 80% humidity for 4 months, the pipe will grow again and the stem may get a little loose, and bees wax etc will take care of it. Lots of places are hard on pipes this way, and it's nothing to do with leaving things out or twisting the wrong way or cleaning too often, it's just the wood moving.

The next question is "Okay smart guy, why does a loose stem tighten if you smoke the pipe?" and the answer is, only the wood near the tenon is getting wet - it expands but can only go inward, tightening it's grip on the tenon.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
While there was a minute widening of the mortise as it dried, the lack of moisture as a lubricant more than made up for it. One reason I never leave stems out for longer than is necessary to clean the mortise of gunk.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Thanks! I think typically that happens bc of temperature. Here in the Northeast I think it’s a dryness problem. House is at a stable temperature but during the cold snap we’ve been in, relative humidity is extremely low. Most of my stems are tight at this point and I had two pipes that I was working on that I almost couldn’t get the stems in at all after they had been off the stummel for a few days. I thought I was going to snap the tenon on one getting it off again.
This still puzzles me. From my experience, cold and dry both cause wood to contract. Wood always swells when wet and shrinks when it dries.
Wet pressure treated decking boards installed tightly on a hot summer day will usually end up with a 1/4" gap in a few days when they've dried out. Definitely a puzzler.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
No but I did an extensive ream and alcohol/charcoal soak so that may have done something. After that tested some others that I haven’t touched and most are tight - with varying degrees.
It could have been the alcohol soak. I've had this happen with pipes I was cleaning up. Leave for a couple of days - might fit better once the shank has dried properly.

Reactions: ofafeather

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
The drier the Briar the more loose the stem/stummel fit. a concentrical ring of briar (the tenon area } will shrink when the woods moisture decreases making the stem portion loose. You have the science backwards!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Whenever I’m rightfully accused of being a Lee Star Grade booster, here’s yet another reason.

The very last Lees abandoned the Lee invisible, double screwed, recessed, user adjustable, removable stinger fitment and used the same push stems as used on almost all cheaper, inferior pipes on the market. Therefore a push stem Lee has all the same problems with cracked tenons, loose bits, and tight bits as ordinary pipes do.

The stem on this magnificent old 5 pointed star Lee Three Star will always come off no matter the weather, and it will never be too tight. The shank will never crack. The tenon will never break. And, you can’t tell it’s not a push stem unless you take the pipe apart.

CFF84CE6-4806-403E-9779-0E8CFFB7F748.jpeg647EA338-249B-4B85-B5BC-4E92A02C6E56.jpeg
On my pipes that aren’t screw stem Lees I use grapeseed oil, prayers, and curses to deal with all the problems inherent in push stem pipes.