Winter Is Coming... How To Keep Warm While Smoking In The Half-Open Garage.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I live in Central Alberta. It might sound crazy but I have an electric blanket that I dedicated to smoking in the garage. It works amazing. Even when the temp outside is in the minus' I stay warm and comfortable.
020BYgO.jpg

Since I retired we only have one car so I converted my half of the garage to a workshop/smoking den. I have a couple of electric baseboard heaters that I can also put on as well if needed.

Reactions: kurtbob and seanv

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Get a large blanket, if it's too small it won't cover you. I use the bungee type thing in the pic to wrap around the blanket at my legs. It makes a huge difference for warmth. I installed a bathroom vent fan in the wall above my work bench as well to vent my little space and now in the coldest temperatures I go out here and smoke comfortably.
ELlLlGM.jpg

Reactions: seanv

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I have a little 10x16 smoke shack on the property. Comfy chair, wood paneled walls, 3 opening windows with bug screens, and a nice desk. In the winter I use a "big buddy" portable propane heater that heats it up in about 5 minutes. works well. It's even close enough to the house that it still gets wifi.
View attachment 5368

This would be PERFECT for those cold Michigan winters for me. I'd LOVE to do this.....Damn. Unfortunately, the subdivision I live in has HOA rules forbidding sheds of any kind on one's property.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
This would be PERFECT for those cold Michigan winters for me. I'd LOVE to do this.....Damn. Unfortunately, the subdivision I live in has HOA rules forbidding sheds of any kind on one's property.
Bummer! Nothing like a HOA to ruin plans. My buddy lives in a subdivision in Anchorage and just got a notice this summer regarding a brown spot on his otherwise immaculate front lawn about the size of a basketball. Fix it or get fined! Haha. Never understood paying into an organization to impose a bunch of restrictions on you and your neighbors, but whatever.

Part of why I live being on the fringe. I can build a goddamn mcdonalds if I want to.

The shed is actually my temporary smoking cave. I’m working on turning an old trapper cabin on our property (built in 1960). Into a guest cabin. I’ll eventually be smoking in there....6353

Mar 1, 2014
These are probably the two most important pieces in my winter kit:
Then get some regular Mega Oversize winter boots and replace the crappy plastic liner with wool.
After that I just add 4-6 layers of any ordinary clothing on my torso and legs and I can sit happily in just about any temperature (Pipe Smoking in -30 is doable).
You can smoke a Churchwarden hands free if you’re reclined enough to rest the pipe on your belly.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvergreenPiper

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I figure if I can't not smoke when it is frigid out, then I have a smoking problem. So I don't. Of course, frigid is a relative term, but I find flavor And enjoyment drop off around 25 degrees F.

Reactions: kurtbob

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
As long as I covered my head and ears with a stocking hat, I was typically fine when I would smoke my pipe outside with just a normal jacket, even down to about -10 below (F). I think it is just something you get used to i f you live in the areas with really heavy winters.

Reactions: anotherbob

EvergreenPiper

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2019
Bummer! Nothing like a HOA to ruin plans. My buddy lives in a subdivision in Anchorage and just got a notice this summer regarding a brown spot on his otherwise immaculate front lawn about the size of a basketball. Fix it or get fined! Haha. Never understood paying into an organization to impose a bunch of restrictions on you and your neighbors, but whatever.

Part of why I live being on the fringe. I can build a goddamn mcdonalds if I want to.

The shed is actually my temporary smoking cave. I’m working on turning an old trapper cabin on our property (built in 1960). Into a guest cabin. I’ll eventually be smoking in there....View attachment 6353
Lucky u

Reactions: kurtbob
Mar 1, 2014
The view sucks with the plastic up for winter but, thank you sir! I’m such a wuss, 42 degrees at night and I have to put up plastic and crank up the fire pit:rolleyes:

It's all relative, and air moisture can make a big difference too.
People rarely die from exposure to cold air, but submerge yourself in chilled water and it can be lethal within 15 minutes.
Then of course there's mental conditioning. In September I always shiver at temperatures just above freezing, but by March of the next year a clear and calm afternoon at just below freezing is suntanning weather.
Of course the air probably is more moist in September, Winter air on the Prairies is extremely dry and Autumn is maybe not quite dry enough yet, but I assume conditioning still has more of a role to play in the perception of cold from Fall to Spring.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.