Winter Is Coming... How To Keep Warm While Smoking In The Half-Open Garage.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have a little 10x16 smoke shack on the property. Comfy chair, wood paneled walls, 3 opening windows with bug screens, and a nice desk. In the winter I use a "big buddy" portable propane heater that heats it up in about 5 minutes. works well. It's even close enough to the house that it still gets wifi.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whatever you do, go momentarily into your safety officer mode. Don't close yourself in with fumes from anything (but your pipe). The cold weather gear may help. Once things get chilly, I'd rather walk, when that is possible. Sitting around in the the cold leaves me ... you know what.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I have a heated 3 season porch that has big sliding glass windows. Cracking a few of them keeps the air clear while the room remains nice and warm no matter how cold it is outside.

However, I have thought of framing in a corner of my garage with two by fours and drywall with insulation and putting a small heater with an exhaust fan.

I spent many a year in the garage with a space heater blowing on my feet with a blanket over my legs which was ok back in the day. Wouldn't want to go back to that set up though.

Reactions: kurtbob and Bengel

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
“There’s no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing”...

Has been attributed to both the Swedish and Norwegians, so I‘ll attribute to the “Scandinavians”.

Bundle up, go for a walk, fire up a heater, don’t smoke...designate an indoor space with ventilation...

Good luck!

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
What is this winter thing I keep hearing about, like when it gets into the 60's or something? (Im in south Mississippi)

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
This is my first winter since taking up the hobby. I planned to just stop piping for a few months. We’ll see how successfully that plan goes.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I smoke on the back porch in the winter.

As said, keep your head warm.

Get a couple of cheap, wintery jackets (thrift store)... one bigger than the other. Put on the smaller,
then the bigger, take on and off as one… viola, smoking jacket.

Add a heat lamp.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Still a fan of taking 5 minutes to get the cast iron chiminea going on the patio...at least until the snow and sub freezing temps arrive...
40 clear and calm here tonight! Glorious!

Status
Not open for further replies.