PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Oh!, Ethan, you gotta give it a try. A vast, resiny, earthy expanse of darkness with enough power to keep you at full awareness. What's two ozs going to set you back?

But beware that you might like it so much that it comes to dominate your smoking. It did mine, but it took a few years. Sometimes I think about all the blends that I didn't smoke, but I have no regrets, as I was smoking into glory daily.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
You should definitely try it, @Ethan . If you like the brown twists, I am pretty sure you'd like Dark Flake Unscented as well. It is super strong, stronger than the twists IMO, but it also has a pleasing, smoky and slightly floral flavor. And it burns slow and cool. The Dark Plug and Kendal Dark are the same tobacco as Dark Flake, just in plug and ribbon cuts respectively.

@saltedplug I didn't care for the Black Irish X I tried, but maybe I should try the Samuel Gawith version and see if I like it better. I would probably smoke Dark Flake every day at least once if it hadn't become such a bitch to acquire. As is, I probably smoke 3-4 bowls a week. Hopefully Laudisi I can help steady the supply a bit.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I think if you keep the order under 7 or 8 total ounces, you can get the cheaper USPS First Class shipping method. It will save you a few bucks over the UPS and USPS Priority Mail options. I prefer the USPS options and have not noticed much, if any, difference between First Class and Priority service. Anyway, you might as well make it 4 ounces of the Unscented and an ounce or two of the Scented/Aromatic version to compare... ?:LOL:

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I think if you keep the order under 7 or 8 total ounces, you can get the cheaper USPS First Class shipping method. It will save you a few bucks over the UPS and USPS Priority Mail options. I prefer the USPS options and have not noticed much, if any, difference between First Class and Priority service. Anyway, you might as well make it 4 ounces of the Unscented and an ounce or two of the Scented/Aromatic version to compare... ?:LOL:
Honestly my only conflict with just grabbing some of this is the 200 I spent for tobacco recently enough that it is still in transit

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Black rope is definitely an acquired taste. I think their recipes are among the oldest that SG and GH share. For some reason I got on to the GH versions, and I doubt there is much difference between them.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice review! I just placed an order a few days back for Windjammer at SPC, looking forward to it.

Enjoy it!

By the way Shane from SPC did a nice article and video on Windjammer if you didn’t see it.

Same. Should be here in a couple of days - pretty sure I'll like this one.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
At one point I had about 25,000g of Dark Flake Unscented on hand as an act of defiance over any authority that tried to get between me and my tobacco Cosmic Beloved.
There are days I wish I could commit buying just 1 blend in serious bulk....I tend to enjoy having variety within reach. Different strengths, flavors etc. Whatever fits the mood is hopefully on hand.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm not getting this blend. It's well behaved blend that burns clean with very little moisture at the end. I'm getting some floral note, but that is it. Not getting any detectable sweetness. Not getting burley. Smoke is mild and gentle, no bite. Definitely notice the perique, but no dark fruit. Loaded as broken flake, but like flake. One relight. Burns rather cool. Will try again.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I'm not getting this blend. It's well behaved blend that burns clean with very little moisture at the end. I'm getting some floral note, but that is it. Not getting any detectable sweetness. Not getting burley. Smoke is mild and gentle, no bite. Definitely notice the perique, but no dark fruit. Loaded as broken flake, but like flake. One relight. Burns rather cool. Will try again.
I definitely do get a fair amount of sweetness from this one, but I smoke a lot of C&D-made tobaccos, so I am kind of used to their leaf.. One of the common beefs people have with C&D's Virginias is that they're perceived as being less sweet. Which is kind of true, IMO, but not entirely, and I like them regardless. But I respect the opinions of those who prefer other manufacturers. I thought the rum pulled a lot of the weight in terms of sweetness with this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.