PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
A new blend for me, and a unique VA/per that is made up VA, burley, black cavendish, and a "generous" amount of Perique. No question, the perique is noticeable immediately in this for me, a plus in my book. Every bowl so far I have rubbed out the broken flake/cake pieces, and let them air dry for about fifteen minutes before packing. It does feel a bit moist straight from the tin for me. The label suggests a number of flavors including fruits, cocoa, walnuts etc., and while there are definitely some of these ideas present they tend to be difficult to pick out as individual concepts. Often true for me with cakes/flakes etc. that have been pressed to marry the tobaccos, and toppings together. I would not say they become singular, but more complex as a whole...which is probably the point. There is also a dark rum flavor thrown in the mix according to the description. The dark fruit tones/notes are easy to pick up, and enjoyable. They mix with what I assume is the rum, making an excellent main profile of this blend. Had I smoked it blind, I would not have said there was a rum flavor to it, but I believe it lends something to the sweeter aspects of the smoke. I did not get any of the nutty from the burley, and it is not as peppery as other perique blends I have had previously. I expect the cavendish is a major player in smoothing this blend out into what it is. It is a rich smoke, and while the flavors to me are subtle enough I would not pick them out as individual concepts, they combine in a way that is very full, and well rounded. This blend may be a bit strong on nicotine for some, again for me that is a plus. Most blends I find a bit lack luster in the vitamin N department. Even those that rate say 3/4 for strength on popular sites I often smoke in the morning with coffee, before breakfast...years of Skoal/Copenhagen products will do that. Another huge plus was zero evidence of tongue bite, and not one I felt like I had to have a beverage nearby at all times. No comments on room note, since I smoke outdoors, but what I can offer is that my wife enjoys the tin aroma on this, and has zero complaints about the so called "beard note" after I smoke it. Since the tin came as bonus for buying the pipe, and it is all I have smoked it in it. I plan to make this a dedicated Windjammer pipe for the existence of this tin to see if there is some other magic I have yet to uncover in doing so. I have never been one to dedicate a pipe to a single blend, although some are reserved for English etc., but when an opportunity presents itself, why not. For science, and all? The pipe is Vauen, rusitcated bowl with a military mount stem. It is an acrylic stem. fit, finish and drilling on this are on point, with no filter, or adapter installed, it smokes great, and runs a pipe cleaner all the way through with no issues.0320211710.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Nice review! I just placed an order a few days back for Windjammer at SPC, looking forward to it.

Enjoy it!

By the way Shane from SPC did a nice article and video on Windjammer if you didn’t see it.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Nice review! I just placed an order a few days back for Windjammer at SPC, looking forward to it.

Enjoy it!

By the way Shane from SPC did a nice article and video on Windjammer if you didn’t see it.

Thanks to you I have read it now. I will have to try the next bowl with the zero drying time he recommends here. Much appreciated

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
So it's been over a week since writing this. I have smoked at least 1 bowl of this everyday since. Tried it in 3-4 different pipes. It continues to remain interesting, flavorful, and with good nic content. My final thoughts on this blend.....just give me all you have left in stock0328210900.jpg

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
haha beard note. My wife comments on that as well...usually not positive comments..but comments nonetheless. I am rather fond of my beard note!

I tried this one out a few weeks ago and damn if its not tasty..bought two more cans.

"I like the smell of my hair treatment; the pleasin' odor is half the point."
1617742236742.png

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
For me, I just kept being reminded of baked goods, like freshly baked cookies, when smoking it. I will definitely buy more and set aside a tin or two to age. If it had as much nicotine as JackKnife, or even Triple Play, I would have catapulted it right into my morning rotation, but I know that would turn plenty of folks off, and it isn't a mild blend by any stretch of the imagination.

Does anyone know what GLP series this one is categorized as? I would guess Heirloom or Old London, but I suppose it could be New World as well.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
For me, I just kept being reminded of baked goods, like freshly baked cookies, when smoking it. I will definitely buy more and set aside a tin or two to age. If it had as much nicotine as JackKnife, or even Triple Play, I would have catapulted it right into my morning rotation, but I know that would turn plenty of folks off, and it isn't a mild blend by any stretch of the imagination.

Does anyone know what GLP series this one is categorized as? I would guess Heirloom or Old London, but I suppose it could be New World as well.
Always interesting to me the differences people pick up on with the same tobaccos. I would not have said baked goods, but I can see what you mean. Sometimes I wonder if it is a difference in the persons taste, or some minor inconsistency between tins that offers up these experiences. I put in an order online today that added 4 more tins to my stash...and a half pound of brown irish X....for reasons. Like, it's never freakin' available, and I wanted it.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I ordered a bunch of tins gambling that I'd like it, which was a good gamble as it turned out. It checks a lot of boxes for me, and I've already ordered more. I'm really looking forward to trying a 7 year old tin.
I too am pretending I have the patience, and resources to not smoke all I have so as to get to enjoy some of it with a bit of time on there...

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I put in an order online today that added 4 more tins to my stash...and a half pound of brown irish X....for reasons. Like, it's never freakin' available, and I wanted it.
That's a perfectly valid reason. I snatched up 2 ounces of the Brown Irish X, and a half pound of my favorite, Dark Flake Unscented (and 2 ounces of the scented too). I've had plenty of the Sam Gawith Brown No. 4, but never the GHC plain Brown Irish twist, so I am curious how it compares. Wish they'd put some quantity limits on these so there wasn't such a massive rush every time they get a delivery, but I suppose that's a discussion for another day.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
That's a perfectly valid reason. I snatched up 2 ounces of the Brown Irish X, and a half pound of my favorite, Dark Flake Unscented (and 2 ounces of the scented too). I've had plenty of the Sam Gawith Brown No. 4, but never the GHC plain Brown Irish twist, so I am curious how it compares. Wish they'd put some quantity limits on these so there wasn't such a massive rush every time they get a delivery, but I suppose that's a discussion for another day.
It is unreal how fast it goes. I got notified by email, and went to the site. I had black X in the cart as well, and in the 15 minutes it took me to decide what else I was getting, that sold out.

Reactions: JOHN72

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
DF unscented is your fav? Damn, there's a man with good taste! My advice is none of this funny business of smoking it in a small bowl. You need at least a 4, and if you know what's good for you, go full immersion; that is, let every bowl be DFU. Smoke it until it gets into your sinuses and enjoy the taste all day.

I was so full of trepidation to smoke rope because of the indoctrination I'd received online that it took me, literally, a few years to taste what they were like instead of my fancies. When they did I found the black a cornucopia of flavor and the brown a hearty, full-tasting VA.

I smoked a good bit of these tobaccos.

If I returned to smoking I would load a bowl of DFU.

Smoke on in the full awareness that God loves you as He loves your choice. Load two pipes with this exalted weedage and take them with you because He wants to smoke a bowl with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.