PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I like using zippo/zippo style lighters, seeing as I nearly almost always smoke outside and the wind likes to blow out matches or bics on windy days. I've been considering getting a zippo pipe lighter, but with the gaping hole on either side i'm afraid of it not staying lit as well on windier days. Anyone with experience concerning such?

Also, does the insert really make much of a difference anyway? I don't really have trouble with my regular style to be honest, besides lighter fluid taste towards the end, which is the same with any lighter.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I have the pipe insert on my zippo and it seems to work fine, but again 30 mph winds will knock out most flames that aren't in a torch lighter.
I find if I light the lighter and let it burn for about 5 seconds before lighting I don't get any fluid taste. Maybe my taste buds are shot but I read that in another thread on this forum

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I love my zippo pipe lighter. they stay lit just as well as the original zippo. Id highly sugesst it! Its my only go to for outdoors smoking.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I just got myself a zippo pipe insert for one of my old lighters and, so far, it seems to work fine. It will keep burning in as strong a wind as you are likely to want to smoke a pipe in. You can get lower odour fuel for petrol lighters and, as mentioned, letting the flame burn a few seconds before lighting your pipe will remove even more of the taste that some don't like.

joshwolftree

actually my zippo pipe lighter is more wind resistant than my regular zippo. Where the flame would come out on a normal zippo is actually capped so the wick is enclosed on all but the two large holes, one of those is letting it burn up and the other lets you draw down through it. My main problem with them is sometimes I pack super light for a quicker smoke and I over inhale and draw on the zippo hard enough to put it out...but usually that's when the flame is to low anyway

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Well, I ordered a solid brass zippo with the insert. Its not an option on any zippo site or ebay store, so I emailed the Canadian zippo site asking if its possible to order any standard zippo case and get a pipe insert in it (I've really wanted a high polish brass zippo for years) and they said its not something they normally do or have options for on the site but that they figured they could do that for me. It sounded almost risky, specifying my request in the 'business name' on the shipping address, but we'll see. Worst case scenario, I end up with a sweet standard zippo that will still work fine.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have a very nice Old Boy style pipe lighter, but I prefer my $15.00 Zippo pipe lighter. Maybe if my skill level ever gets better I'll replace it with the Old Boy, but until then I'm Zippo all the way. When I'm outside I slightly cup my hand over my pipe and I've never had any trouble with the wind.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
+1 Josh. Keep in mind that you're holding the zippo sideways, so the wind isn't blowing through the holes. I use mine all the time to light pipes and the occassional cig/cigarillo and wouln't change a thing about it. Never had a problem with wind.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I keep trying others but keep going back to my pipe zippo. I use it in quite blustery wind sometimes, and as long as there is fuel in it it never lets me down. Definitely the best value windproof lighter for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.