PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayoak

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
Been smoking my Willard off and on for over 40 years. Great little pipe for that short smoke.

I have used every type of tobacco in it and it smokes well.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I got a Willard in an auction with 5 other Cheaper pipes. I got 5 pipes for 13 dollars shipped. Afyer some cleaning they are all in my rotation but 1. It is a strange pipe with a metal stem that i cant unclog. I will have to post pix of it. Very strange. I broke a quarter inch of the bottom tip of the bit off but it would still function if I could get it unclogged.. Anyway, i love my little Willard. Just wish the bowl was a bit larger. Great post Ranger!!!

Reactions: tom1462

dsturg369

Can't Leave
May 9, 2009
Augusta, GA
I own a couple Willards... Great smokers both...
Willard2.jpg

Willard1.jpg

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
After reading, and posting on this thread i fired up my little Willard and you are correct man.... This pipe is one of my best smokers. I just never paid much attention!!!

tims

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
Hmm

I just picked up a pipe with the labellin "tinderbox" on thye side from ebay. It has a yellow dot on the side , a ball type stinger , aluminum thread on shank that can be turned to adjust the bit position.

it smokes and looks great , and I'm wondering if its a willard.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I just picked up a pipe with the labellin "tinderbox" on thye side from ebay. It has a yellow dot on the side , a ball type stinger , aluminum thread on shank that can be turned to adjust the bit position.

it smokes and looks great , and I'm wondering if its a willard.
Could be,judging from your description it sounds like a Willard. Definitely Sparta made I'd say.Probably made as a basket pipe.

tims

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
@ ejames sounds like a lot of sparta were "basket pipes" by design ... If I could figure out how to post a pic I'd throw it up.
cheers

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
@ ejames sounds like a lot of sparta were "basket pipes" by design ... If I could figure out how to post a pic I'd throw it up.
cheers
Basket pipes,from what I gather,were not a large percentage of their total production. Cruising Ebay one can see examples if you know what you are looking for. Sparta-Grabow shapes are not hard to recognize if you are familiar with the MANY different shapes they made. Usually those pipes will be unstamped or stamped only "Imported Briar" and may or may not have a spade on the stem. Rarely,will they have the name of the store or company they were made for. They also made promotional pipes. Half & Half,SWR, Mobil Oil and others. These will be stamped.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's one way to post pictures:
To get photos to load quickly and show in the post, you first have to upload the photo to this site.

1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and down to Album

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and copy the URL, then paste same in desired thread, using the IMG tag in the compose window.

Status
Not open for further replies.