PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodbuster3

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2016
I notice alot of guys have hundreds of pounds of baccy even if you smoke alooot of tobacco its a lifetime worth. I can see myself kind offered doing this because i like trying new stuff. But i think it would look more like one or two tins of alot of stuff and a few blends i settle in on i buy a few pounds of

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I don't think I'll ever stop buying tobacco.

I've slowed the pace at which I buy but there will always be new and exciting blends that I want to try and some of those will surely get cellared I larger quantities. :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I probably won't. I keep telling myself that this last purchase will actually be my last purchase. With time though I've come to learn that I enjoy that aspect of the hobby the most, I get s thrill out of it. I've been doing this for about 7 years now and I'm just building up momentum.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
My wife asks me that same question! Thought I was through until the FDA thing surfaced earlier this year. Bought another 10 pounds or so of various favorites that might be endangered.
Just finished putting new carpet in the house. During that, we moved most of the furniture, including the several places I had stores, all of which had to be emptied. Was a bit surprised at how much I do have. At nearly 71, I think I have enough to last the rest of my life. May need to re-evaluate in another 10 years.....

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I think there are quite a few members on this list who smoke one bowl a week or less. To them, pipe smoking is a hobby like fly fishing; something cool to do 3 to 5 times a summer. If 10 pounds (think 10 16-ounce bags) of pipe tobacco aging in a closet sounds like a year supply, you might be one of them.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I smoke anywhere from 3-6 times a week, or sometimes none at all. I buy as much as I can when i can. FDA stuff has made me panic about it more, especially on things that I like, or would like to try that might not be around later. I even buy tins here in Vancouver, expensive or not. Sometimes I think I enjoy buying more than smoking, and if I had 100lbs Id probably keep buying. Plus I have friends who like to smoke, but dont have a desire to explore blends. I feel its my duty to show them what they are missing out on.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Oh damn zekest, don't let my wife hear you say my pipe smoking is like fly fishing. I fly fish 3 to 5 times a week. Which is pretty cool in Oklahoma since we don't have many of the normal fly fishing species.
When you want to "age" a blend, you will find yourself stocking up. Rules like "Smoke one Buy two" will catch your eye. Sadly some of us smoke one buy twenty five. As for stop buying tobacco...my current plan is to stop the day after Pagan stops. I do not expect that to happen soon.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Unless the deeming date changes, a lot of blends will go the way of the Dodo. I am in excellent shape right now. Add a few more pounds and I am set for life. Will always add some tins here and there. Same with pipes. I'm good.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I've long since passed the "lifetime supply" volume. I could stock a very large B&M with my cellar.
Still, I buy, especially when I hear or read about something new. These forums don't help. :wink:

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
The short answer, No! I am addicted and I know it, I do not want or need help. I want to jump everyday into my pile of 1400 tins and jars, basking in tobacco abundance.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I didn't go crazy on hoarding, only a few pounds of stuff I know I like. But I still try to buy a pound every two weeks when I can, just to stay ahead.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm a regular smoker with under 20 lbs of tobacco on hand, but I think I could continue at current rates and have enough to smoke for at least a year. I've got several 'flavors' of natural tobaccos, blenders, and blends too which can be modified for variety.

I enjoy experimenting with combinations of these and continue to learn to appreciate their differences as well as their behavior with each other.

The tin acquisition fever I might have started with, or had earlier on, has abated and been replaced with a contentment with my bulks.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
There's addicted and then there's going off the rails. You guys are all insane, hording tobacco as though it'll one day be currency, post zombie apocalypse. Regardless, you guys are certifiable.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I believe I have a lifetime's supply on hand now and as such have slowed my purchases considerably.
I've only made one purchase since June and that was earlier this month to pick up four tins of Butera Pelican that unexpectedly became available. I had only heard of this unicorn blend, so I couldn't resist grabbing a few. I'll probably make a small purchase here and there, but for the first time in five years feel like I've got my TAD under control.

mathteacher

Lurker
Nov 20, 2016
I quit stockpiling when I hit the "20 year" mark for several reasons:
1) I'm almost 49, not in great health, have not exactly lived a clean life, and don't have great genes in my family. In other words 20 years will probably last me.
2) I'll still buy some tins of new to me stuff along the way anyways. Just no more orders of pounds and pounds.
3) I went from self-employed (smoke all you want :)) to employed by a school system. That's 8+ hours a day in a tobacco-free workplace.
I may change my mind later, who knows? I thought I had all the GLP I would ever need, and then Regents Flake and Temple Bar came along...

Status
Not open for further replies.