Will we ever see Balkan's on sale again?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
That's the question that's been rolling through my head. Thinking of a new TAD order sometime, and it seems to be a bit Balkan heavy. Do you all think that we will ever see any Syrian based Latakia blends on sale ever again? I'm thinking no, but I'm hoping for a vendor to announce a sale.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Balkan blends don't have to be Syrian.
http://m.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=134974
http://m.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=134975
And these are a bargain!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
CM, but the should be if I was Latakia I'd want to be Syrian.
Probably all gone in the next 5 years or so, so best to start finding other blends to fall in love with. I enjoy both types equally, if not the Cyprian a bit more.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah CM, that sucks every time I hear it :( for those preferring Syrian, couldn't we take Cyprian and simply repatriated it, making it legally Syrian? Truthfully though, it's the threat of never having it again that makes it so desirable, although I genuinely taste a strong difference and very much love it. Start a strong enough rumor and I'll chase Cyprian like it's going extinct ;)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
:rofl: Have you tried Balkan Sasieni or Peter Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme? Both very good representatives of what Cyprian should be.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Or McClelland's Syrian Full Balkan if you want Syrian. I prefer their Balkan Blue (formerly Blue Mountain) even if it's Cyprian. Please see Pease's response in recent thread on Syrian. I think Macbaren HH Vintage Syrian is a mix of Syrian and Cyprian, but my taste buds could be mistaken

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Both P&C and SPC occasionally run sitewide sales (i.e. 15% off everything we stock). You just missed P&C's 20% off sale a few weeks ago. Just wait around for the next sale and your Syrian will then be on sale...if it's still on the shelf by then! And get on their mailing lists

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Definitely try the HH Vintage Syrian as well.
The 1 pound bags are still a great value compared to the tin prices.
I'll add another +1 for the Balkan Supreme and Balkan Blue listed above as well.
BTW ... any of these will go well with Maker's! :)

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Mr. Greg Pease does an amazing job of making Cyprian taste like Syrian in his Meridian blend. Guy is a master.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
How does the Peterson Balkan delight compare?
https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/new-for-2013-peterson-balkan-delight-pipe-tobacco-50g-tin

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Reading Pease's article describing in some detail both strains of Latakia is worthwhile. Read it this morning, and here is a link to it. Link is to left of this sentence. On my laptop, it doesn't show up well, and I don't think I can bold it with the tags.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Syrian Lat will be back, although how much horror the population will suffer before that happens, I can only dread to imagine. It's a good cash crop, and when the country leadership stops killing its citizenry and the murderous hoards of interlopers stops, people will again grow this cash crop. Soon, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.