Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I would not call them aromatic. Strongly flavored, yes but unless “crappy ashtray” is an aroma you classify in aromatic then I would not position Dorchester as such. In their cases, the flavoring does not transfer into an aromatic experience.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I've not noticed any Germain's ghosts, though don't have the Esoterica's to try. To be honest, I think ghosting is over exaggerated - the only thing that's ever left anything more than a quickly dispersed whiff for me is latakia.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Since I have discussed Tilbury in this thread, I thought I would post my review with updates for those who may be interested.

There's a natural Virginia buttery tart and tangy citrus sweetness along with some hay/grass, a little tangy dark fruit, bread, wood and earth, and a honey note due to the expert mix of gold and dark Virginias. You get much of the full range of tastes that those Virginias usually have to offer. The burley is nutty and toast-like with an earthy, woodsy flavor that gets a little stronger as you smoke it down. The burley is almost a competitive component. The fruity smell out of the tin or bag allows you to think an apricot topping is present, and I claim it was added in the casing of the Virginia, but this varietal tastes lightly fermented in any case. The tobacco is ribbon cut and a little stringy, so it burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with a very consistent sweet, nutty and woody, lightly rugged flavor from start to finish. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is a step or two below that mark. Has no dull or harsh spots, and won't bite. Has a few rough edges. Leaves a little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights if you've given it a light dry time. I recommend that. Has a pleasant, lingering woody, nutty sweet after taste and stronger room note.

11-2-2022 Update: I have recently smoked several batches of Tilbury from 2019 to 2022, and have experienced a moderately stronger apricot topping every time. That subdues the tobaccos more than it did in previous productions. I'm not changing my rating, but I am recording the difference for those who read this review.

12-20-22 Update: The latest drop of Tilbury produces another change in the product. The apricot is barely noticeable. The Virginias are not sweet nor are they as complex as the pre-apricot dosed version discussed in my original review. This only has light touch of dark fruit, more tartly sour citrus,and I notice a smoke note that I never encountered in any version. There’s a little more sharpness and is mildly more sour as well. The Virginias remind me very much of those currently used in Dunbar, which are a downgrade from past manufactures. Three stars for this December 2022 version.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Oh, I certainly am not here casting blame on anyone, just saying, it would be nice to get this info updated is all.

This is a good read about Casings vs Toppings, and what makes an Aromatic.

A basic outline mentioned here is this.

——————————————
Casing is something that is done to delicately adjust and perfect mouthfeel, and it's done in a subtle way so that the end result is still a very natural-tasting tobacco. Its purpose is to be hidden.

“Think about the terminology, 'top note,'" says Jeremy. "It is going to be an overt, clearly added aroma that is intended to be noticed. It's intended to be experienced, whereas casing is really intended not to be experienced.
——————————————

Top Note, if you read the whole article, goes into the aspects of Taste too, not just aroma.

The way I see this article, is that anything outside the Normal Profile Notes Tastes, as an example, Virginias, that has been added to Virginias as a Top Note, adding a different taste, makes that an Aromatic.

Esoterica has an Apricot flavor, the typical character of Virginias is not Apricot, this, should therefore qualify to be called an Aromatic.

Now, what I believe the confusion might be, is that when a blend is Lightly Topped, people are not considering it to be an Aromatic, because it‘s not heavy enough. I believe this is a stereotype response, because many associate Aromatic with heavy flavors and aromas.

So where does the line draw, if anywhere? 5%-10% topping isn’t an Aromatic, but 15%-25% topping qualifies it?

My understanding in the pipe world has always been this;

Casings = Mouth feel
Toppings = Aromatic (regardless of how light they are)

I believe what we need to say now in the world of pipe smoking, is that there are different levels of Aromatics;

Light Aromatics
Medium Aromatics
Heavy Aromatics

Brighton, Dorchester, Dunbar, should be classified as Light Aromatics.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Something I just noticed, since I just received a few ounces of Brighton, and smoked a bowl, it’s tin note and smoke tastes are on the same strength level as a 2022 tin of Grousemoor that I have.

I have a 2108 tin of Grousemoor, this is stronger in Aromatic notes.

I don’t know if all the new batches in the future we will see from Gawith are going to be lighter too, but if they are, then it’s in the same wheel house as Brighton.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@JimInks I just opened a tin of Tilbury, it was listed as 2021 from KBV, but after I purchased it, the site no longer said 2021, but instead ‘Reserve’.

So I’m not sure if this is 2021, or 2022, that I have.

Either way, that fermented Esoterica fruit smell is pretty strong, more so than a recent tin of Grousemoor, so I’d also classify this as a Light Aromatic.

For me the strength of the Tilbury tin note is just as pungent as Dorchester and Dunbar.

Hmm, I smoked a sample of Tilbury given to me last year, it was a more natural smell, not like this.

So, this tin note of Tilbury is not what I was expecting, and if I had to take a guess, not that I’ve smoked every blend of Esoterica, I’d say if you don’t like the typical Esoterica, Brighton seems to be the lightest, between this, Dorchester and Dunbar.

Now, the question in my mind, is there a straight VA from Esoterica, or all Esoterica VAs, are pretty much the same with this fruit note, to one degree or another? hmm 🤔

P.S. I wonder if Quality Control is failing a little over at J.F. Germain & Son, because, with no disrespect to them, but this is the sorriest/scruffiest looking blend I’ve ever seen.

Lots of stems in it, lots of the cut looking like ragged hay, just a pile of mess thrown together.

Looked like some old ragged Super Value Blend for $2.99 found hanging in a plastic bad in the drugstore.

Seriously, no one would of ever looked at this blend and said this is a High Standard High Quality blend. This I’m sorry to say, looked as low class and as cheap as they come, really sad. :(

I just hope it smokes better than it looks... hmm 🤔

Last edited: