Will Smoking Dried Out Tobacco Ruin A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Newbie question here- I like dried out tobacco and have less tongue bite from it. But will dried tobacco crack a pipe or make it hotter? Also my Meerschaum burns hotter than my briar. Is the normal? Thanks guys.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
No, dry tobacco will not harm your pipe.
I'll leave the meer question to those more knowledgeable, but unless the pipes are of identical design, there are other variables at play here besides the construction material.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tobacco can get quite dry and still smoke well with good flavor; some blends improve. No problem for the pipes. This doesn't mean you should store your leaf in a brown paper bag, but many blends keep well even when quite dry.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Also my Meerschaum burns hotter than my briar. I
Sigh...and shellac makes them...okay. Everybody feels things differently. How about some intrepid person buy a 29.00 spot thermometer and do a definitive test?
(Personally I think they do. With heavy variance upon wall thickness.)
7300600f-4b3c-4a16-ad32-6e8bfa74b3e3_1000.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dry is the best way to smoke most tobaccos, the exceptions being aromatics. It's just a question of where the sweet spot is for the blends that you smoke. Dry will not hurt your pipes. Excessive puffing, smoking hot, smoking hot AND wet, will eventually screw up a pipe.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Dry is the best way to smoke most tobaccos, the exceptions being aromatics. It's just a question of where the sweet spot is for the blends that you smoke. Dry will not hurt your pipes. Excessive puffing, smoking hot, smoking hot AND wet, will eventually screw up a pipe.
Thanks sablebrush and you guys for such good answers. It helps a lot.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Only way I can think of harm coming is if dry tobacco is packed too loose and torched too hot/smoked too fast—you might harm the briar.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I'm smoking a bowl of Exotic Orange that I packed three or four days ago, still very exotic. I prefer my Virginias on the dry side.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Nothing wrong with smoking dry, in fact dry is more forgiving on your tongue. As far as the meer ... I am no expert, but I have noticed that it heats up a tad faster than the briar. Then again, I suppose it depends on the thickness of the bowl. But to answer your question straight up, I wouldn't be too worried if your meer heats up faster than your briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.