Will Smoking a Pipe Help with Quitting Cigarettes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. With everything that goes into smoking a pipe you'll be too occupied to think about the nails. Stay on here with us and you'll be fine.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
It worked for me ...
Although I did not begin pipe smoking for the purpose of quitting cigs, it did work out that way ...
In the process of exploring quality tobacco blends for the pipe, I became increasingly aware of just how utterly crappy the tobacco in cigs is ... not only is it a low quality product, it's slathered with a mixture of chemicals, most of which are both bad tasting and bad for you ...
My doctor would be happier with me if I were to quit smoking pipes and cigars, but grudgingly concedes that it's not as bad to smoke high-quality tobacco that hasn't got the chemical additives without inhaling and does not badger me on the subject ...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've heard of great success using tobacco rope as suppositories, the walls of the colon are very friendly to any kind of absorption.
rope_tobacco.jpeg

Just cut off the amount you need, insert into your colon and you should be good for 4-6 hours easily.
Me personally I always inhale and find I get more flavor that way, plus a good nicotine fix at the same time.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
I think smoking a pipe can help, but it depends a lot on your situation.
Enjoying a pipe takes an hour or so and involves a slow build up (in my experience at least) of the narcotic effect of nicotine and any other secret sauce that's in tobacco smoke. It's quite a different experience to cigarettes and isn't something you can do during a five minute break at work instead of smoking a Marlboro Light.
If your main aim is to stop smoking cigarettes, then I recommend using an e-cigarette or snus.
I do highly recommend taking up pipe smoking though. I enjoy it immensely when I am able to dedicate some time to it. When I am not able to, but feel the need to smoke a cigarette for that quick hit, I pop in some snus or puff on an e-cig.
If I have had a week of pipe smoking, I don't really feel any ill effects when exercising - I don't inhale at all. Having even just one small lapse and smoking a cigarette is something I can instantly feel when going for a run or a gym class!

jsimpsontw

Lurker
Jun 17, 2017
Good on you! I am going through this myself. I think if you don't deny yourself a pipe then you stand a better chance. Its even better if you try when you are on vacation and then can smoke about 3 bowls a day. I tried inhaling the smoke but I just didn't enjoy it. You will still feel super bad because you haven't had cigarettes even though you are smoking a pipe, but it gives you something else to focus on. Good luck! Just make sure once you quit that you never buy a pack again, because you are likely to buy 20, either smoke them all and have to start all over again or you will do what I have done which is to buy a pack, feel bad, throw them away because you feel bad, then as soon as there is a stressful situation buy another. Haha make sure your significant other is busy so there isn't a lot of time to talk about sensitive, possibly emotional things!once again, good luck my friend. This was some years ago, so hope you had success and if not, just keep trying.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never smoked nails, so I have no direct experience. Not sure how this thread re-emerged, but was interested to read it. I think the inhaled nicotine addiction of nail smoking would have to be addressed by nicotine gum or patches, to ease off those high doses. I think pipe smoking might help with its milder dose of nicotine plus the taste and olfactory satisfaction, plus the "busy hands" activities. Also, pipe smoking has many dimensions of pleasure in the pipes themselves and their tactile and visual appeal, and the variety of blends, and your ability to mix the different leaf to your own satisfaction. Once you attain the habit, it tends to edge out the mere dragging down of smoke.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
times to time I still smoke some cigarettes,4-5 per day,in between the bowls although needless to say, if one has managed to get rid off cigarettes, he must be extremly watchful and avoid increasing the number of smoked cigaretttes,its so easy to lose control over this and there you go again,,

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It takes some time and effort to appreciate a pipe and to be able to smoke well enough that it is both a fun experience and one that does not require conscious effort. At that point, you will find that this method is much more enjoyable than cigarettes. You do not get the nicotine blast, however, with a pipe, more like a steady dose that grows stronger over time.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
@hillbillyjosh I'd like to see the research and documentation of that claim.
Great article Steve.
I was never a heavy smoker and the last couple years I smoked cigarettes i was stuffing tubes with quality RYO tobacco.

Once I started on the pipe I was done messing with cigarettes after about 2 weeks. Before I knew it I had no inclination at all for the little bastards.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
I just figured, fermented, aged tobacco. Kinda like cigars. Prolly isn't wise to inhale.

But everyone has a vice.

When I have inhaled. Like two times. The first time it killed my lungs. Harsh!

Second time was smoother but ruined the flavor of bowl I was enjoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.