Will Packing Tighter Help Reduce A Loose Draw?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I received this budget Molina shorty the other day, while I find it cute, the draw is way too loose compared to my Comoy which I sadly broke the stem on shortly after buying it (still smokable though). I can barely taste anything with Molina as it’s like a smoke bomb even while carefully sipping. Could packing the tobacco tighter and causing some resistance help alleviate this at all?6F418A2A-D784-4A13-95E2-F5751E175DBB.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 27, 2020
Interesting, but I also imagine that pipes with loose draws much get harsh towards the bottom of the bowl regardless?

@kcghost, yes I plan to after life gets back to normal. I had the luck that my first pipe was a very good smoke and the misfortune of breaking it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll have to play around with that and see if it's useful to me. I've never made that association in particular, but it sounds like it makes a difference. I've smoked a lot of pipes for a long time, so I'm still learning.

Jan 27, 2020
I guess dottle in a way works as a potential regulatory of draw—sort of makes me think of but in an opposite way how gravel in a planter can increase drainage.

Reactions: Chasing Embers