PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I’m smoking it now. I like it. Jiminks gave it 2 stars. I don’t know shit about pipe tobacco, especially the way Jim does but I know I like this. It’s zesty, like what I think Red Virginia tastes like. It’s woody and a little earthy like what I think Burley might bring to the table. I’m not sure I detect Perique but then again, I might and I just don’t realize it. The retrohale is very soft; no tingle at all. Jim said it lacks depth but I’m not certain I know what that means. To me this is intensely flavorful and tastes lik Virginia and Burley pipe tobacco. I’ll likely buy more after I finish this initial 2 ounce purchase. Have y’all tried this? If so, what are your thoughts about it?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sounds like you know enough to have a good time. And never tried it. But I have never found another person that completely agrees with me on how good or not good all pipe tobaccos are. Sounds pretty good to me not like a must try but I bet I'd enjoy it.
I bet he means by it lacks depth that it doesn't have a lot of different flavors and doesn't change a lot through out the smoke. But I don't completely know what he means either.
Sometimes what makes one blend great for one person is the whole reason another would rather skip it. Some people really like a blend that doesn't do anything more then taste good to them and some want a journey.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Sounds kinda like WCC Glass Slipper.

From what I’ve read, it’s a Virginia base with Burley and a touch of Perique. I’ve never smoked it myself. From the photo on the Wilke website, it looks like thinner ribbon cut, so it would tend to burn a little faster if that’s the case.

Doesn’t mention the Virginia or Burley varietal, but in general I would expect citrus, sweet, nutty, with some plum and a little sharpness. I mixed and pressed a blend similar, and enjoyed the taste. Sometimes less is more.

I tend to take TR postings with a grain of salt… Some seem a little biased, and not everybody likes the same thing.

Obviously John thought there was a market for it, or he wouldn’t have brought the blend back. As long as you enjoy it is all that counts.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have over 100 blends in my cellar, and what works for me one day, doesn’t necessarily work the next. Tobaccos I smoke in the winter aren’t necessarily the same tobaccos I smoke in the summer, fall, or spring. Then again depending on my mood, health, what planets are aligned in what astrological symbol, well, you get the picture. A lot of times I’ll scroll through the What Are You Smoking thread and something strikes me - Hmmm haven’t smoked that in a while. I’m just pretty random. But if I really don’t want to go with something heavy a lighter blend does the trick.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
on the idea of tobacco reviews a small tangentical thought. I remember when I had a good brick and mortar pipe shop that some of the jarred blends where smoked by one or two guys but that's all or almost all they smoked. So my point if you make a blend it doesn't matter if everyone loves it just that enough people love it enough to keep getting it.