canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
20200715_161723.jpg
20200715_161820.jpg
20200715_161836.jpg
20200715_161751.jpg

My wife and MIL went antique store shopping and she bought me this somewhat beat up pipe stand and three pipes. The Old Pal and Statesman are in decent condition but the cob is pretty battered. She also got me a couple old axe heads (I like to restore and rehandle them). Cool stuff puffy

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
You gotta good wife, my friend. That Grabow cob is cool.. even if its a little beat up. I guess I didn't know they existed.
Thanks, she can be trying at times, but I like her quite a bit, haha. I married my best friend, it seems to have worked out well so far.

I've heard of Grabow cobs before, but this is the first one I've seen in person. The button is completely worn off of the stem. The chamber is ok but the rest of the pipe is beat up, like they used it as a chew toy and hammer more than smoked it.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Those briars should be pretty easy to restore. I’d just set the cob on a shelf somewhere.

PS, I also restore and re-haft the occasional axe. Here’s the bulk of the ones I have. View attachment 36446View attachment 36447
Great now I’m gonna have to look for an axe to restore! Nice setup. You need more stickers on the tool chest though ;)

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
You gotta good wife. I do to but not when it comes to pipe smoking. My wife nagged me about stopping smoking so much the other night I finally told her it's either smoke a pipe or smoke a gun. You chose. That shut her up. Well, for that day, that shut her up. She's like the shark in Jaws. What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a pipe nagging machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and nag about pipes and that's all. rotf

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
That briar pipe should clean up very nicely. Did you get the stand as well?

Oh and that axe display is something I'd want to display when boys eventually come over to call on my daughter.

Oh these? Just my axe collection. Want to take a closer look?
Yeah, when I have some free time (is any time truly free?) I'm going to take apart the stand and give it a thorough sanding and refinish it.??

I have a 14 year old daughter so I understand your line of reasoning there lol.

Reactions: petes03
Status
Not open for further replies.