Widening the bore on Stanwells a good idea?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
I just received two nice-looking Stanwells, but they draw a little hard. The hole going into the bowl on each is noticeably small. The small end of a tapered pipe cleaner will just poke into the bowl and a non-tapered bristle pipe cleaner won't go through at all. If it's not just carbon build-up I'm tempted to bore out the hole to make for an easier draw. Anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't do this? Or have any advice on just how I should? Thanks.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
if it's straight i would assume you could do this with a drill bit but just turning it by hand, or with pliers or so forth...???

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Here are a couple of additional ways to hold and turn a drill bit by hand... I have found that pliers are sometimes difficult to use as they don't get a very good bite on a hard, smooth drill bit.
T-Handle Tap Holder
Keyless Hex-Drive Drill Chuck
Generally a good idea to use a few sizes of bits to gradually increase the diameter of the hole (rather than trying to stuff the final size drill through the first time). The drill bits will be more likely to follow the existing hole and reduce the risk of damage.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
tap holder! damnit. that makes so much sense.

just a why didn't i think of that moment.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's a little out of my field, but I think a pin vice is the proper tool "for securely

holding small stock, taps, drills, reamers, scribers, wire, small files, and other tools".

223928521p

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
The pin vises look like just the ticket. I found a good set of 4 at Sears and should have them sometime next week. Thanks again everybody. You guys are terrific!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Always happy to share what little I know. One more small item. Start with the smallest bit that will pass and work your way up slowly. Don't try to do it all in one shot.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I second the advice to work up the hole size. I did the same for a basket pipe I have that gurgled terribly. I reamed it out to 5/32" and now it smokes like a completely different pipe.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
This page helped me out quite a bit.
http://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=16774

Status
Not open for further replies.