PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,130,43409&p=69808

One of these plus any pipe with a bowl over 1.5” wide.
Next make sure to re-drill the shank and stem to at least 1/8”, at which point you’ll have one of the best smoking pipes ever... assuming the pipe actually survives the ordeal.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Neal, good GAWD. 's all I can say! :)
Def agree on the pots. I've got a couple of Brebbia pots & A lovely old Bari also that are just fabulous when it comes to that. Wolf's 122 is dead-on too. I've only got one of those. :( Looks like some more PAD for me too! :rofl:

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Be sure to check the interior bowl dimensions! Some "pots" are actually billiards in disguise.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any good pipe with a wider chamber serves this purpose. I'd call any chamber .8 inches broad tending toward wide. Often pots, diplomats, and authors, among others, claim this. My theory isn't that they burn cooler, though that may be true, but that with greater surface for ember, the likelihood that you will have more of all the components of a complex blend-- four or more tobaccos, base and condiments -- burning at once. With some blends, I find this quite noticeable. Though some would say I'm hypnotizing myself into thinking so. Sometimes what is in someone's imagination is also true.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For those of you who fall into the 'wide bowls for x blend' school of thought, what pipes (besides a 320) do you use?
Barling, of course. I've got them in every size from L to EXEXEL. Barling was famous for the quality of its pots. Then, there was everybody else.
You want intensity of flavor? First, figure out the optimal moisture content for the blend you're smoking. That's going to have a lot more effect than a particular chamber shape. I can get a nice intensity from just about any chamber type, but wider chambers do often allow me to pick out subtleties in a complex blend. And ribbon cut Virginias really do well in a pot. Pretty much anything does well in a pot shape. I just vary up the chamber size. Barling EL and EXEL sized pots are terrific smoking machines. I like them better than the big pot.
Regardless, it's 25% equipment and 75% technique.

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker
Great Post, Sable.
Leacha is correct also. So many pipemakers will make a pot-shaped pipe, list it as a pot, but then when you check out the dimensions, it's really just a .75" wide chamber. Not a pot at all.
With that said, many bulldogs out there will have the pot chamber, with the more stylish features of being a bulldog.
I am always reluctant to do google searches for the pot pipes :puffy:

Reactions: Dandy Pipesmoker
Status
Not open for further replies.