PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've mentioned pulling the wick above a Zippo's chimney before for lighting pipes easier. I remember years ago that the instruction manual included with the lighters spoke of it, but modern copies of that sheet no longer include it. Here is an older sheet and the last paragraph mentions the mod.
20190410_035908.png

Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi
Jan 8, 2013
I ran out of flint in my pipe Zippo a few weeks ago and tried this with one of my other Zippos, remembering you mentioning it before. Worked like a charm! :clap:

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Nice! My buddy just gifted me a Zippo so I will have to try this out!
One thing I did noticed the first time we used it that the metal got pretty hot pretty quick. Is this normal or do I need more practice using one?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
One thing I did noticed the first time we used it that the metal got pretty hot pretty quick. Is this normal or do I need more practice using one?
The heat is definitely a Zippo thing. You'll get used to lighting more quickly and the lighter won't get as hot.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Or you can invest in a zippo pipe insert,

it really makes life easier. I know so many here are insistent on using conventional lighters but when I do I inevitably burn my thumb at some point,

or singe the rim, both

which I like to avoid if possible.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only thing I like about Zippos is the way you can snap them shut. They're definitely not for drivers, since dropping one while in the car can be disastrous. BICs are much safer.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Well Cosmic it's worth NOTHING! Bupkis! JK JK

I guess we can't all be as cool as you. :-p

And btw Cortez I HAVE dropped a flaming Zippo in the car, it's not that hard to do, glad I lived to tell the tale and that's one of the 17 reasons I switched to a butane insert. If I ever go to an AC/DC concert I'll find my conventional insert, pull the wick way up and light one for Embers.

Status
Not open for further replies.