PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
I've only bought new pipes. Parker, Viking, and two Savinellis. All were pre-carb. None tasted bad. The Viking had issues with the pre-carb and I've stripped it to bare wood. I have a new Pete in the box waiting to be smoked on Christmas. I wonder what a precleaning would uncover?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just bought myself a new (basket) pipe and though there is no stain in the bowl there is a black slightly crusty coating in there which I presume to be put there to shorten the break in period. Though I can't actually taste the coating itself it is somehow affecting the flavours of the blends tried in it thus far.
How long that will be the case I cannot say but I'm not best pleased by it.
Regards,
Jay.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Though I can't actually taste the coating itself it is somehow affecting the flavours of the blends tried in it thus far.

The issue for me with bowl coatings has absolutely nothing to do with the primary element, which is usually just powdered activated charcoal. But something has to be applied to the chamber to make it stick, and I've heard of people using everything from unflavored gelatin to yogurt. Some of the items used as an adhesive would almost certainly affect the flavor of the first few bowls.
Russ

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for that snippet Russ, I never for one moment considered what might have been applied to make whatever my coating is (likely charcoal as you suggest) adhere to the bowl.
Tomorrow I shall attempt to sand it back to bare briar..at least I know where I am with that.
I've said it afore and say it again, this place is fantastic for posing a question one minute and getting an answer the next :worship:
Regards,
Jay.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Wow! I have never had a pipe that tasted bad on the first smoke, let alone one I needed to exorcise to this extent upon first smoke or that would have so much crap come out of it! I might write a letter to the company or seller about this. I've never owned a Nording so I cannot say how common a problem this is.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
This would piss me right the fuck off. Have you contacted the company? Oh wait. I forgot, it's not our place to be upset and should contact the retailer.

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
I don't know any artisan pipe makers staining the inside of a bowl. Most, including myself, are very careful when applying stain as to not get it in the pipe. Occasionally a drip occurs on the rim and I sand the bowl to remove the stain.
I've used an unflavored gelatin and charcoal mixture for a while now and do not notice a bad taste only a neutral taste while breaking a pipe in. On untreated bowls, I notice the briar adds a flavor of its own for a few bowls and then dissipates over time. Not a bad taste, just different.

Status
Not open for further replies.