Why two Carved Rings on Bulldogs and Rhodesians?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Standard pipe shapes are older than any of us, and we’ve come to expect certain styling cues on Billiards, Apples, Pots, Bulldogs, Rhodesians, etc.

The difference between a Bulldog and a Rhodesian might be a square shank and a round or oval shank, but often both have two carved rings on the outside of the bowl.

15D7E34E-027C-4A09-B122-FE70CFC9CB83.jpegBD7FFA6B-57EE-432D-A149-C27FDFFE5875.jpeg7162273F-32A8-4419-BD13-3FF1D7542A84.jpegIf there were more than two the original purpose might have been a sort of radiator that would help cool the bowl.

But the style seems settled on two, not three or one, rings and it seems they serve no real function, except for style.

But carving those rings adds to the time it takes to fashion a Bulldog or Rhodesian, there’s always the chance of messing up the pipe carving the rings, and there had to be the first pipes sold that established the styling,

My guess is the rings were part of the first machine fraized Bulldog and Rhodesian shaped pipes and were placed there to hold the briar in the machines. After that other makers had to copy the rings to sell their pipes.

Maybe there’s a Bulldog or Rhodesian expert that can shed more light on this mystery.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I always assumed that the lines were to improve the purchase on the pipe with one's fingers and to help cool the spot where the smoker holds the pipe. I know the lines work that way for me, but I have no expertise in the matter.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I’ve always followed the rule “If it’s taller than it is wide; it’s a bulldog. If it’s wider than it’s tall; then a Rhodesian.”

*This, despite the fact that I’m a Peterson fan; and they differentiate by shank.... round v diamond.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think those are called bead lines. I have always assumed they are to accentuate the shape of the bowl. Several brands have made a style out of leaving them off. I have always held in high esteem the shaping of the Dr. Grabow Royalton which I believe was made by a resident senior carver, who I suspect has retired, because the shape no longer is offered as a new pipe. It was an extraordinary shaping job.

Likewise, one of the standard GBD shapes is a bulldog without bead lines. I like both bulldogs with and without, but I think it takes more chops to carve a bulldog without bead lines and have it look sharp. Likewise, I greatly admire carvers who vary the finish above and below the bead lines. Bob Hayes, the late award winning N.C. carver did some great examples of those.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
For heavens sake. Welcome to Pipe 101.
A bead is is a ring that has a larger diameter than the rest of the bowl.
Rings that are carved into a bowl are called “rings that are carved into a bowl”.
Beads are rare. Mass producers won’t take the time, and most “artisans” think they’re too tough/time consuming to bother with.

9A9DBEC8-8490-46FC-8370-1441B560FC26.jpeg