PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
OP. I had some Russian Caravan today. I love it occasionally. A bit of Lapsang. I like BBQ. Smoked a lot of MM965 and sipped my share of Laphroaig and Laguvalin. But all of the above are “once in a while treats” for me. I wouldn’t want these every day. One poster used the word “cloying”. I agree. Too rich. Besides, everyone knows that real pipe smokers like rough cut Kentucky Burley. ☝️?

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Personally, I like the taste of tobacco. I feel that Latakia, Lakeland blends, and aromatics detract from that-for me.

I don’t hate Latakia or aromatics (lakelands make me ill-literally) and have some of both on hand and smoke them occasionally when I get a hankering’ for them but most of the time I prefer to taste the tobacco and not a flavoring (which I consider latakia to be flavored by the process of curing over smoke)

Just a preference like pepperoni vs bacon vs anchovies.

Aug 1, 2012
I hate this expression. Nobody would ever get much past Captain Black if that's all anyone ever did.
I see where you're coming from but from my perspective this wouldn't be the case. There are those who will always be adventurous and try new things to find things they love while others will stick with only the tried and true.

For example, I have a friend who has eaten the same thing for breakfast every day for over 10 years. He gets upset when people try to get him to change. I however, will try something new for the fun of it and get bored with only one option. So sure, some would never get past heir first OTC. Others would still be searching for something new out of habit while still others would have that quest to find their perfect tobacco and stick with it once they found it.

Is it a trite saying? Sure. Is it generally good advice? Maybe. How about if it was phrase more like this? "Enjoy what you choose to smoke and stop trying to get everyone to like exclusively what you do."

Reactions: JOHN72 and logs

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
The very first blends I enjoyed and that "Clicked" had latakia. I then began to chase a flavor that I found in Latakia-containing blends that I learned later was Virginias, and even later, Orientals.

As I smoked more blends containing Virginia, Orientals, and Perique, a whole new world of flavor opened up. As my palate became accustomed to these varietals I began to appreciate and taste more of the flavors.

Then came burley and I all but forgot about latakia.

Returning to Latakia has been a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I can actually, very slowly, put a dent into some of my favorite Latakia blends from years past without the guilt regarding the money I've spent on them.

A curse because, Latakia, to varying degrees based upon the amount in the blend, obfuscated those lovely flavors inherent in the aforementioned varietals. I also find smoking latakia blends not very enjoyable when it's warm or hot outside, and I only smoke outside.

It all comes down to craving, and after a while I came to hardly ever crave latakia blends.

The one recent exception has been Bob's Chocolate Flake. The Latakia perfectly complements, as a condiment, that yummy Bakers Chocolate flavoring. Mmmmmm

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I simply burned out on it. I used to love English blends and the flavor of a fine Latakia. Then one day I looked at the jar of "whatsis" and the thought of tasting Latakia made my stomach do flip flops and gave me the unrelenting urge to hurl. It was all I could do to hold back the vomit.

That was after a couple of decades of primarily smoking English blends. For a couple of years I didn't touch anything with Latakia in it. Thank goodness for Virginias.

The merest thought of Latakia, much less the smell of it, continued to bring on severe nausea.

I've since regained a taste for the stuff in minor amounts and enjoy an occasional bowl as long as the Latakia is condimental, just an accent to the orientals. Any stronger and it's reach for the barf bag.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Can't help wondering what leads to a dislike for blends containing latakia. Personally, I love the stuff. You know, anything smoked...BBQ Pork Butts, Brisket, Lapsang Souchong tea, bacon and latakia! So, is it that pipe enthusiasts overdose on lat blends and develop a serious dislike or what???
I’m from Iowa ... the smell and taste (not that I’ve tasted it) remind me of barnyard shit.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I’ve also wondered whether current Latakia is just not as good as it used to be.
Could be down to fads as well. The pipe "community" is absolutely susceptible to this.

Years ago, when Greg Pease was somewhat regular here, latakia blends were definitely the predominate talk and I think maybe favoured more than virginia based blends. Maybe my memory is not so great, but that's how I do remember it.

Of course, he was referred to as "The Dark Lord" for his generous use of the stuff and his presence may have guided some of the buying habits and talk of the forum members. People talked about his blends a lot more back then, so I wouldn't discount the marketing value of him posting regular articles and commenting in the forums.

Now, a lot seems to revolve around VaPer blends, with some competition from the kentucky leaf.

Around pipes, American pipe makers have become quite popular and much discussed here, much more than in the past. But maybe that is because there are more of them now. Who knows? We'll see in another 5-10 years if it's lasting or not.

All just impressions.

I predict a latakia resurgence when Esoterica blends become common place again.

Throwing my theory out the window...

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
"Enjoy what you choose to smoke and stop trying to get everyone to like exclusively what you do."
That's horrible advice! If I like a blend, I want everyone else to be smoking it too. Maybe even generate some cult status.

Then, at least there is an outside chance that it will become popular and remain in production.

Now, everyone, do your part and reach for a tin of Haddo's Delight. It's delicious stuff and you're missing out on everything good about being a pipe smoker if you haven't tried it yet.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Now, everyone, do your part and reach for a tin of Haddo's Delight. It's delicious stuff and you're missing out on everything good about being a pipe smoker if you haven't tried it yet.
I love Haddo's, especially after it's been aged for 5 or more years. That said, it's a polarizing blend that brings violent thoughts to some member here. Definitely a love it or hate it blend.

Let the chimp fight begin!

Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Just thought of something. What is in latakia? I've noticed it makes the back of my throat feel numb, not bad but weird. And now people are saying something in it makes them sick. So maybe latakia is more complex then we all think. hmmmm
Latakia used to irritate my throat more than any other kind of tobacco. That's another reason I don't care much for it. I'm saying 'used to' because I haven't noticed said effect lately, but then again, I smoke latakia-containing blends only occasionally. I didn't notice any irritation with Merde de Cheval, so maybe it's something else in the blend or the kind of latakia.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Is it a trite saying? Sure.
I've come to dislike the expression because I've seen it used as either an introduction to a bashing of aromatics and those who smoke them, or as a smug, sardonic follow up comment to allege respect of something or someone one has just bashed.

True, not everyone who uses the phrase is a basher, sometimes they wanna be peace-makers, but the use of the expression by snubbers has made it vexing.

How about if it was phrase more like this? "Enjoy what you choose to smoke and stop trying to get everyone to like exclusively what you do."
Yup, that's a way better and more sincere expression. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.