PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I figured I would give Va/Pers another shot, this time wanting to try Samuel Gawith Cabbie's Mixture, only to find out that a 50 gr tin is about 25% more expensive than any other 50 gr blend from the same manufacturer. In fact it is more expensive than most 50gr tins, regardless of manufacturer. I ordered it, since I read all the good reviews, but can't help wondering what is so special about it, why so expensive?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

I really doubt anyone regular forum member could answer that. You will get a bunch of guesses at best. You might try an email to the retailer if you are wanting a correct answer.
As for my guess... I blame the elephants. Damned elephants have been driving up prices lately. I think they are just padding their trunks. :puffy:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Samuel Gawith Cabbie's Mixture, only to find out that a 50 gr tin is about 25% more expensive than any other 50 gr blend from the same manufacturer.
I don't know where you are located, but in the U.S. the 50 gr tin prices all look pretty much the same...

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
$9.28 is not bad at all actually, I paid almost EUR 21 for the tin, whereas you regular tins are roughly EUR 14 ... now I know that tariffs in Europe are a tad higher for tobacco, but this is ridiculous.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Same here. Bulk makes sense for those of us who go through a tin every few days. And then there's Cosmic, who burns through a 50g tin a day.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
$9.28 is not bad at all actually, I paid almost EUR 21 for the tin, whereas you regular tins are roughly EUR 14 ... now I know that tariffs in Europe are a tad higher for tobacco, but this is ridiculous.
What the flower ???

Dont buy tins on the street, use online shops for reasonable prices.

This one one goes for around 15euros everywhere.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Best guess is that Cabbies Mixture is still relatively new, and has been pretty popular as of late so who ever you're buying your tobacco from probably realizes this and has marked up the tins.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Best guess is that Cabbies Mixture is still relatively new, and has been pretty popular as of late so who ever you're buying your tobacco from probably realizes this and has marked up the tins.
Might be the case, but in EU it is just slightly more expensive compared to the rest of the line up (like a dollar or so).

Far from the 25% stated above.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just checked on Mysmokingshop.com and virtually all Sam Gawith 50g tins are £13.55 but Cabbie's Mixture is £13.79.
Not a huge difference but it does seem odd.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pricing is a marketing and economics discussion. Many factors. Especially with specialty niche products like pipe tobacco. Often it's just plain old whatever the retailer can get. People seldom marvel at how inexpensive some blends are, but there are those, and some are pretty good or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.