PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
LawDawg, have you ever tried Bookers.? Smooth sippin’ whiskey... at about 130 proof, I don’t think you want to just toss down shots! (Proof varies from batch to batch)

I buy one bottle a year and it’ll last me all year.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I like the relaxing aspects as well as the history of pipes and tobacco. The interesting characters that have been pipe smokers throughout history.
The connection to history and family members that pipes and tobacco remind me of.
I also like the flavors and styles of tobacco as well as the interesting brand names and the thoughts that they bring to mind.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
For whatever value it has to whomever might read this: my answer is the same for this type of question, almost regardless of the topic and it has two parts - because I want to and I can. Period.
There could be any number of personal or subjective responses, and they could be fascinating and worthy of a thread for each. But really, I suspect that at the root of each response there would be an element of my response in each.
Because I want to. And I can.
There's a certain Zen to that, I think. Or not. You decide.
:puffy:

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think Redglow came pretty close to sentiments. There’s so much to read about history of the brands and carvers, artisans, businessmen, and enthusiasts. I like the fun of finding a cool pipe, hunting shops in travels for hard to find tobacco. And of course quiet time in a hectic world.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I started pipes 30 years ago while backing away from cigarettes, cigars and an annoying nicotine dependency.

I still smoke a pipe because it is a peaceful and contemplative comfort in a bat sh*t crazy world.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
LawDawg, have you ever tried Bookers.? Smooth sippin’ whiskey... at about 130 proof, I don’t think you want to just toss down shots! (Proof varies from batch to batch)

I buy one bottle a year and it’ll last me all year.
Yes, Bookers is a good one. I bought a bottle of Bookers earlier this year as a gift for a good friend when he found out that his wife was pregnant with their first kid. Personally, after trying pretty much all the readily-available bourbons in different price ranges, as well as some not-so-readily-available bourbons, I usually keep my bourbon purchases to about $30.00 a bottle. Generally, all my more expensive purchases are scotch :puffpipe:

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
As redglow said:
I like the relaxing aspects as well as the history of pipes and tobacco. The interesting characters that have been pipe smokers throughout history.
The connection to history and family members that pipes and tobacco remind me of.
I also like the flavors and styles of tobacco as well as the interesting brand names and the thoughts that they bring to mind.
...pretty much same for me. One other big factor, too: if pipe tobacco was something that went bad after a month and had to be thrown out, I probably would not have stuck with it.
But the fact that you can try an ounce or two of some really interesting, unique tobacco (for not much money) and then put it in a jar where it will last for years on end--that's a really cool aspect to pipe smoking for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was dragged kicking and screaming to the pipe by my good buddy Mark aka Hoosierpipeguy. He just wouldn't let up day after day week after week. We both were big time cigar smokers and I had no interest in pipes. My good buddy Mike owns Regency Cigar in R.I and he showed me what pipe I should buy and how to load it and smoke it. I picked it up pretty quickly as I was in his shop 7 hours a day 5 days a week. My learning curve was not too bad.
I am forever grateful to Mark as I definitely prefer my pipes over the cigars. I used to smoke 6 cigars a day now I smoke one every few years. For my tastes pipe tobacco is superior in flavor to cigars,

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good God for so many reasons. One I am an addict and need nicotine. Though I use snuff to keep that itch from getting too bad. And honestly pipes get you high. Though it's not just a drug high from the nicotine. It's also the high of focus on something to a meditative degree and also enjoying the gormet aspects too. Those things all come together and mean that while I am smoking a pipe I feel very serene and focused. I also love how much chicks dig it. I am only slightly kidding. I like that my hobby gives others pleasure including being able to enjoy the scent. And finally it gives me a great excuse to talk to pipe smokers and the only thing I've seen they seem to share in common is their all weirdos who are interesting to talk with, seriously pipe smokers have the best stories, well tell the best stories.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Hooray for Mark! :clap:
Earlier this year I took a wide selection of pipes and tobaccos to my sister’s In an unsuccessful attempt to get her to switch from those awful cigarettes that she spends more than $100/week on! I don’t care if she smokes a corncob pipe and looks like Mammy Yokum (the 6’ tall version) so long as she can make the change!
She enjoyed my smoking, especially the W. O. Larsen Old Fashioned blend, but no go.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I was a cigar smoker who had to quit them for 10 years because of allergies. On a lark, I stopped into a cigar lounge and tried a cigar with a pint of a local brew.

I was extremely happy to find that I no longer had the allergy/sinus problems that forced me to give up cigars.

I tried a pipe to have something to smoke while my cigars were resting in my humidor. (I give them a minimum of 4-6 months.)

While I enjoy both pipes & cigars, I find that I actually prefer the pipe nowadays. This was quite an unexpected surprise when I first tried a pipe.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I have always enjoyed reading , mainly fiction, but in the last years I was often too distracted (e.g. by the smartphone or the internet) to sit down with a book in the evening for at least an hour or so. I was looking for a way to come to rest in the evening without being distracted. So I picked up the pipe as a means to force me sitting down with a book. Quickly I began to enjoy smoking and now the evening read accompanied by one or two bowls is a ritual, which gives me a lot of energy for my everyday life.
Reasons, why I chose the pipe over cigars are, that beautiful, nearly everlasting commodities eversince had fascinated me (like fountain pens or wrist watches) and that long-term, even if you buy expensive pipes, run cheaper than smoking high grade cigars.

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Right! Thats an important aspect regarding distraction... But on the other hand you hav the relights, that a cigar does not require.
I've just come up with another reason. I like the idea of collecting things, but only if they are in regular use. So for me personally, there is no reason to collect wrist watches. One sporty, and one elegant watch are enough for me, because I have no rational reason for collecting. The same applies to fountain pens etc. But concerning pipes, I can build up a decent collection, of which all of the pipes have their special purpose and get used regularly. Pipe collecting to a certain degree makes sense for me in a rational way.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like nicotine. I like the act of smoking. It gives me a reason to go outside. I enjoy the accessories, and the whole packing lighting puffing. I enjoy keeping pipes around that I've had for many years and having good memories with. Unlike cigs, you throw them away. I enjoy the flavors of pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.