Why Prof. Einstein Smoked Pipe This Way?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
That weasel paid for as little as possible.
HEY! Go easy on the weezell talk Buddy!... rotf
ORTkrcZ.jpg

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I would imagine that the Duke received his Dunhill pipes for free as part of an advert strategy by Dunhill, the same as sending free Dunhills to soldiers in WWI. The Duke probably paid for his tobacco though.
Without, I hope--getting totally lost in the weeds here--for the makers and retailers of luxury products, especially, royal patronage and being the holder of Royal Warrants was once a huge big deal, both in England and other countries.

Even before he became Prince of Wales (in 1910), Edward was an influential Dunhill customer. And in 1921, he officially granted them the first of several warrants (allowing them to use the ostrich plume emblem on their products and in promotional material). Both George VI and the queen followed suit. (Or did until the endorsement of tobacco products was discontinued.)

In Michael Balfour's very handsome and lavishly illustrated 1992 history of Dunhill's first century, he describes Edward as a regular, lifelong customer of all three of Dunhill's principal headquarters (London, Paris and New York). So, presumably, a brisk traffic both in person and by mail order, of pipes, tobacco, cigars, and sundry other products, both as gifts and purchases, was apparently carried on for over sixty years.

Attachments

• 1957 Dunhill Letter.jpg
    1957 Dunhill Letter.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 18

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Maybe I’m nuts but that smoke was cool and dry to the bone.
I was wondering if it was in my head that my pipes that have a natural gap (the army mount and filter pipe sans filter), because it really does seem like they do smoke somewhat cooler. Well one more notch in the gap makes a cooler smoke column.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I was wondering if it was in my head that my pipes that have a natural gap (the army mount and filter pipe sans filter), because it really does seem like they do smoke somewhat cooler. Well one more notch in the gap makes a cooler smoke column.
I have come to prefer army mounts, and notice that the space in between stem and mortise does collect quite a bit of moisture. Seems to help.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
The reason I came to the conclusion Einstein and Tolkien left the gap as a moisture trap was my experience with this old Maro Well system clone. The stem is a faux friction mount that takes a 6mm filter. I leave out the filter and pull out the stem until it's barely attached for a reverse Calabash effect. Seems to make a difference so it stays this way.
20200705_223730.jpg

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Actually, I do this with my BriarWorks 9mm filter pipe when using Savenelli 9mm balsa filters. The filters are a bit too long and don't allow the stem to be inserted all the way unless I trim the filters, which I did for a while, but lately (especially after reading this thread) just decided to not insert the stem all the way.