PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I've been smoking Peterson exclusively for last 5 years. Most members know this already. But only one member asked why. Not that it's very important, but I had some rum in me tonight and I'm bored.

First and for most the shapes. Nothing really special. Just every men's trad shape with just touch of emphasis on masculinity. Thicker shank, wider bowl.. Of course, there are some influence from continental pipes, but I'm happy to ignore them to

Secondly in price point. Under US$100 to wherever. The fact you can get well made pipe for US$90 with history behind it, I think is cool.

Third, but most importantly, smokability. Never had Peterson that smokes like a shit.

Not saying anything about other brands, but I never felt any reason to smoke other brands. From cheapest to near US$400, they all met my need and want with beauty of their shape and way they smoke.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My first pipe was/is a Peterson - had to have a Rathbone (although a Nording Woodcock was my inspiration to explore pipes), had to try Wilke No. 515. Went from there! I'm not a fan of the coating, but it is easily removed in a couple of minutes. Many complain about workmanship and I have no doubt their particular experiences are legit, but mine have been positive overall (had a couple with stain issues, but again, easily resolved, but shouldn't have had them). Never had an issue mechanically with a stem, drillings are consistent on the ones I own. The older ones I have are terrific in every way. Not a big fan of their recent straight shapes, love the bents and recently discovered System pipes - love 'em. Love their "short" series - great little pipes for the road or a break while out walking a dog. And love the Sherlocks.

The fact they are Irish is unashamedly a factor, lol.

I've gotten into addition by subtraction recently and selling off a bunch of pipes - I don't use them as much as most here, just had too many for my purposes. Keeping my bent Petes, and old Britwood, but now I'm kind of focused on commissions from carvers with forum connections and knowing what I prefer in shapes, stems, etc. gets me a pipe I know will be great for me (and fallen prey to Meer-mania!) and in the long run saving $ by not being so haphazard about grabbing different kinds of pipes (but that was all part of the experiment).

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I purchased my first Pete, I think it was my Jekyll and Hyde B10, then I purchased my second, then third... then sixteenth.

I purchased the Peterson Pipe book and started reading Peterson Pipe Notes. I got hooked. I haven't smoked all sixteen yet, but the one's I have smoked, haven't disappointed me.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I purchased my first Pete, I think it was my Jekyll and Hyde B10, then I purchased my second, then third... then sixteenth.

I purchased the Peterson Pipe book and started reading Peterson Pipe Notes. I got hooked. I haven't smoked all sixteen yet, but the one's I have smoked, haven't disappointed me.
I’ve got catching up to do! Can’t imagine how many @Streeper541 has.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've been smoking Peterson exclusively for last 5 years. Most members know this already. But only one member asked why. Not that it's very important, but I had some rum in me tonight and I'm bored.

First and for most the shapes. Nothing really special. Just every men's trad shape with just touch of emphasis on masculinity. Thicker shank, wider bowl.. Of course, there are some influence from continental pipes, but I'm happy to ignore them to

Secondly in price point. Under US$100 to wherever. The fact you can get well made pipe for US$90 with history behind it, I think is cool.

Third, but most importantly, smokability. Never had Peterson that smokes like a shit.

Not saying anything about other brands, but I never felt any reason to smoke other brands. From cheapest to near US$400, they all met my need and want with beauty of their shape and way they smoke.
my two Petes smoke amazingly. So do most of my pipes I think I got an extra sense science hasn't found out about yet that can tell if a pipe is worth buying or not (the few less good smokers I've bought all didn't fully call to me and something told me I might not be happy with them). But a big part of it for me is the fact that when I close my eyes and imagine someone smoking a pipe it turns out it's a Peterson I picture. And I think the most beautiful pipe is like a beautiful girl there isn't need to embellish or become something else or extra. The best is just what it is.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
It turns out that I had a Peterson for longer than I thought. For some reason I had mentally categorized one of my favorite little smokers as a 2nds or something. A while back I utilized the appropriate vision enhancement tools and found out it was actually a Peterson. (I think it's an 82s)

Not too long after that I decided that I needed to try the system and see how it compared to the Savinelli Dry System that I had stumbled across and enjoyed. When I did, I found that for me it was superior.

And then it began.

I have 15 various Petersons in rotation, and 3 more new in the box to gift to myself whenever I feel needy, worthy, or whatever. :)

I enjoy them in all sizes, shapes and finishes, and prefer the P-lip to a fishtail. Nope, I lie, I love the P-lip. I love the system but fortunately many of them have some type of reservoir in the drilling. I enjoy the diminutive ones and the large ones, but the one that seems most "perfect" all the way around is the 314. I have 4 and seem to want more.

One of my new ones awaiting me is a system deluxe. I can't imagine what I will do if I find that it's really that much superior to a system standard. I'm enjoying the ones I have so much I don't want to "ruin" the experience.

Anyway, without too much external influence, I somehow found out I might be a "Pete Geek".

And I think I'm ok with that.

Cheers

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas

It's my favorite brand because of the shapes. To me, they take traditional shapes and often give them some unique twist which makes them more interesting than the simple traditional shapes. Then, too, they must be the most prolific producer of spigots around. Do love spigots, though only have 2 of them.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I was originally drawn to them because I liked the way they looked. I keep purchasing more of them because I like the way they smoke. I'm not sold on the System for straight and slightly bent pipes, but they're the best I've found for the deeply bent jaw hangers that I prefer. The 14B, 305, and 312 will always have a place in my rotation

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

So, have you never smoked/owned another brand?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
When I first started smoking a pipe my first nice pipe was a new 2012 Peterson Christmas pipe, straight pot. I then bought a quarter bent Rhodesian Pete. The pot ended up chipping my front tooth, walking through the house hitting a door ... Lesson learned real quick there. It was just a huge pipe to me. And Rhodesian gurgled. I ended up selling them both. But I know now, that they weren't necessarily bad pipes, but I was just still learning. But it's just hard to look back...

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
For my aesthetic tastes, finding a Pete that hits for me takes a lot of digging. I don't like the P-lip or systems, or larger/heavy pipes.
That said, since Laudisi took over I've started paying attention to the blasts, army mounts, and spigots primarily.
When I can find one in a shape/size/finish that suits, it's an incredible bargain.

My Walnut Spigot 65 is a fantastic smoker that cost under $200.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I don't own any Petersons, but I did purchase one of the Christmas pipes that they release back in 2021. It was a blasted 1/4 bent Rhodesian that really called to me.

But when I received it, the stummel was so distorted up front from the blast that I just couldn't overlook it. And the stem had a couple places on it where it looked like the acrylic had flaws in it (pits, indentions, etc.).

SPC happily let me return it and they were going to send me a replacement, but somehow or another it never shipped (this could have been my fault since I was not that familiar with the exchange process; this isn't a critique of their customer service; that has always been exemplary).

Since then, I just haven't been too interested in purchasing another. However, some of their Spigots paired with some of the new Sandblasts really do interest me. But if I'm going to spend close to that on a pipe, I generally choose one from an artisan carver, so I've never pulled the trigger.

Plus, Petes run a little bigger and heavier than I normally like, so finding one that fits those criteria is a bit tougher.

But I wouldn't mind having one just because I feel like every collection needs one.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I really wish Peterson will put more into seasonal pipes. Large number of first time purchase comes from St. Paddy's Day, Halloween, and Christmas pipes. Last few years have been rather disappointing. Instead of repeating army mount with different finish and different color stems, give us something that's little more than novelty pipes. I'm sure people are willing to spend just little more to have something they would like to keep for some time and keep going back to.