12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Below are two Second Generation Five Pointed Three Star Lees. The grain is more the blasé middle of the road grade you see on a lot of Lees. Both smoke well, but neither are something to write home about. The one in the foreground does seem to have a better quality level of vulcanite. I am actually more partial to the one in the rear. It holds better in the hand and I feel it smokes just a bit better.

These two pipes are not examples of what I would further add to my collection. They would be something I would consider parting with if I were to part with a few Lees. Both were professionally restored and cleaned and both have a lot of life still left in them.

If you are in the market for a Lee, I wish you well. I have many wonderful pipes, some with amazing artistry.

Despite what I said about Lees being mediocre, or maybe a bit above mediocre, I find I reach for them more than my other wonderful pipes.

They are the right size for the type of smoking I do and they always deliver.
IMG_6264.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Below are two Second Generation Five Pointed Three Star Lees. The grain is more the blasé middle of the road grade you see on a lot of Lees. Both smoke well, but neither are something to write home about. The one in the foreground does seem to have a better quality level of vulcanite. I am actually more partial to the one in the rear. It holds better in the hand and I feel it smokes just a bit better.

These two pipes are not examples of what I would further add to my collection. They would be something I would consider parting with if I were to part with a few Lees. Both were professionally restored and cleaned and both have a lot of life still left in them.

If you are in the market for a Lee, I wish you well. I have many wonderful pipes, some with amazing artistry.

Despite what I said about Lees being mediocre, or maybe a bit above mediocre, I find I reach for them more than my other wonderful pipes.

They are the right size for the type of smoking I do and they always deliver.
View attachment 193290

Even my hundred and some Lees is a small sample of survivors. Lee probably made a hundred or even a thousand pipes a day.

The true second generation Lee with inlaid jeweler’s gold 5 pointed stars, I’m convinced was Lee’s high water mark of quality. At least in my stash they are, but there aren’t many.

When brand new all Lee star grades were likely polished with carnauba wax, the best wax for pipes and guitars.

Carnauba wax fades. It doesn’t like heat.

A grapeseed oil finish also fades, and evaporates from heat. It does no harm.

What grapeseed oil does do is provide a soft glow, instead of a glossy shine.

In 1946 and still today, a man’s wool suit does not shine.

Neither should his pipe.

5EBE7233-3E0C-47F7-B52C-33BDDFD75FE8.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yikes.

Grape seed oil has some side effects lke diarrhea, upset stomach, vomiting and dry mouth. It can also cause sore throat, cough, headache, muscle pain, dizziness and itchy scalp. Grape seed oil is considered safe at recommended dosages and is not safe for pregnant women and children.

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
I've never put oil on my briar. Like Chasingembers said, you can just buff it out with a fluffy towel. I will wax mine from time to time with carnauba or a dab of Renaissance wax on the stem, but never oil.
You either missed it or ignored it ...

You either missed it or ignored it ...
No Idea Gif GIFs | Tenor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Almost on cue, I left my grapeseed oil stained Lee in an ashtray to get pizza, and on my return my wife’s cigarette had scorched it.

View attachment 193212
View attachment 193214
View attachment 193215
d70472f6-939e-4b6d-aa71-e8a377a47a87-jpeg.193216

View attachment 193217

The grapeseed oil finish can be removed with 4/0 steel wool, and the pipe touched up.

It would take more work to sandpaper the burned spot completely away, but I’ve got a nice looking pipe until then.
It’s a heart because she loves you!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I have an older BBB, some might of seen I post from time to time in WAYs, but it’s faded, and I can’t seem to get it shiny.

I thought when Briar is dull, the only hope is to strip the remaining sheen away, whatever was used, and apply again a coat of lacquer, or whatever is commonly used.

Don’t mean to go off topic here, if anyone sees this, instead of stripping off the finish and redoing it, what other options are there?

hmm 🤔

Reactions: Briar Lee

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
W
I have an older BBB, some might of seen I post from time to time in WAYs, but it’s faded, and I can’t seem to get it shiny.

I thought when Briar is dull, the only hope is to strip the remaining sheen away, whatever was used, and apply again a coat of lacquer, or whatever is commonly used.

Don’t mean to go off topic here, if anyone sees this, instead of stripping off the finish and redoing it, what other options are there?

hmm 🤔
White Diamond bar compound.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

hmm 🤔

This Luxor is marked with a 2 and is among the worst looking pipes I ever bought off eBay when I got it in. It was almost caked shut, but the worst thing was a hard, brown varnish.

Some folks poke fun at me using my wife’s Easy Off oven cleaner on really hard to strip pipes, but my logic is if a woman will use that in the same oven she bakes pies for her precious little children it evaporates without an trace, you know?

This pipe is now a favorite pipe to keep in my car. It’s an excellent smoker and an oil finish hides many flaws, at arms length.

F9CFDA28-EFA7-4DB4-A54A-06BF84A8AED2.jpeg0586C57A-07D1-4891-AF2C-68F2637FB8FC.jpegFF3A3D28-98D3-440C-A9A0-31B22C6293A2.jpeg3D203E31-F027-4B60-B209-C98F48AADE30.jpeg

I could make that pipe shine like a cheap polyester suit using beeswax and elbow grease.

But I like it as it is.

Reactions: UB 40