PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Technology is so generational. We had interns at work who could do anything on a computer, but when asked to send a FAX were completely incapable, if they even knew what a FAX was.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Spenc had one in military, killed it working on tracks ofBulldozer for a friend. Took it off to weld underneath, laid it on track, finished, friend brought me a beer,one led to 2,3, told Buddy crank it up, let her roll. Military Rolex has survived S Asia but bulldozer killed it, hadn't taken it off the track. Fast forward to 85, had to sell ESOP EXXON STOCK AS program was abolished, paid house off, had a chunk left, wife said I know you miss your Rolex, get one you work hard. That's the one in picture.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Well next time I'm in NOLA I'll stop by and we can compare old watches. I still have my grandfather's pocket watch that he picke up on his way to the states from Lithuania. I had it inscribed when I graduated from medical school.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I only wear pocket watch, because my wrists are too thin to look good with a wristwatch on. I prefer have roman numerals on the face.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Spence here is an Elgin Railroad watch my Grandfather traded In the early 1900s , he traded a fine horse for it, Doves on cover, it's a fine thing.

Mar 1, 2014
Condorlover:

I use a pocket watch and very simple yet effective test. If the hands are pointing at 12 and it is dark outside then its evening whilst if it is light it must be daytime! Works overtime for me!
Daylight hours for Edmonton are currently 8:31 AM – 4:17 PM.

And it's only the beginning of December.
Back when I was younger, I fell asleep in the afternoon one day (probably around sundown) and then woke up at "8" and started making breakfast. My first clue to what time it really was is that there was an action movie on TV, and my parents and siblings were watching it. For about fifteen minutes I just thought it was really strange to see that kind of programming in the morning.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
fem6500bb9_ray_on_rubber_black.still006.jpg

Made in Japan. Mechanical, no battery. I like that. An affordable watch. I prefer no numbers other than the date and on the rim.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
If you like having numbers on your watch face then I highly recommend staying away from tokyoflash.com. Most of their watches have... interesting... ways of telling time.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I quit wearing a watch when my son was born. Feeding and holding him with a watch on was cumbersome. Now I just use the cell phone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great watch photos! I really like them, numbers or not. Oddly, the introduction of the Apple watch seemed to spur a huge resurgence in more traditional watches. Publications with high-end advertising seem inundated with ads for higher priced watches, some of them well into the tens of thousands. My dad gave me my grandfather's pocket watch before he, my dad, died. It has a flip cover and is made of gold, but I keep it in safe deposit. I'm afraid it would get damaged riding in my jeans. Those fine old watches were designed for watch chains and vest pockets. Some of the railroad watches were built very sturdy, but even those, you have to cultivate the careful way to carry them. Great old timepieces.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I have my grandfathers pocket watch and 18k gold chain, the serial number dates from 1907. Great shape and runs great but the face does have a crack across it. :(

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I was always a watch nut. Meanwhile I am lucky enough to work in a Hamburg (Germany) based watch manufactory. We put a lot of emphasis on clear and easy to read dials and even numerals are a must for us. This one is made of bronze and has a silver coated dial, thermally blued hands and a sapphire display back.

Why numbers? I suppose its all about aesthetics. If you´re in the same age as I am you were raised with an analogue watch on your wrist. We just need a glance of the angles of the hands and know the time. "Reading" the watch is not necessary any longer. The "digital" kids must have the same difficulties with the analogue watch like they have with a vintage rotary dial telephone. :lol:

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I'm attracted to dive watches even though I'm not interested in diving. German watches especially appeal to me.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Numbers, no numbers, doesn't really matter to me. I suppose if I had to pick which I preferred, I would take the numbers. Give me simple, basic, leather banded watch. Nothing flashy or big.
As far as using my phone for time... not often. I have been known to turn around on my way to work because I forgot my watch. I'm lost without it.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I know that this is heresy but my "regular" watch is a FitBit that tracks my steps, heart rate, stairs, has alarms and calories. Oh, yes, it also tells time...

Status
Not open for further replies.