PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Me on the right and my little brother

FB_IMG_1670162060996.jpg

Must be a nice adventure trucking in those days John! I deal with truckers today in my profession, I get why a lot of local people want out of it. Nothing against Eastern European guys making a living, but via shady hiring contracts making maybe 20% what a local guy earns and their employers getting paid 80% of what a local guy charges for the same freight ain't right. And those guys are for months at a time living in their truck. Those trucks are not like some OTR truckers in the USA, European trucks are small to live in. When I was younger I thought about getting into the trucking business now I'm glad I didn't.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Me on the right and my little brother

View attachment 185120

Must be a nice adventure trucking in those days John! I deal with truckers today in my profession, I get why a lot of local people want out of it. Nothing against Eastern European guys making a living, but via shady hiring contracts making maybe 20% what a local guy earns and their employers getting paid 80% of what a local guy charges for the same freight ain't right. And those guys are for months at a time living in their truck. Those trucks are not like some OTR truckers in the USA, European trucks are small to live in. When I was younger I thought about getting into the trucking business now I'm glad I didn't.
Beautiful and endearing photo Dan. In those times, we were more innocent, and I think happier. I agree with you Dan. Regarding the profession of trucker. Now it is a very degraded profession. A lot of banditry in the European service areas. Nothing attractive for the new generations.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
My dad has told me many times about the good old days of European truck driving. Those days are apparently long gone, but that picture takes me back to those days. He has even told me stories about Swedes driving in Saudi Arabia, but that was before his time as a truck driver. Seems like trucking was a very decent way to make a living back in those days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
IMG_0211.JPG
Here's a good old day from the Forums itself, with my first prize Savinelli apple pipe and Savinelli t-shirt in the Pipes Magazine and Smoking Pipes sponsored contest for cartoon captions. I think this was maybe about 2014 or thereabouts. My wife was the photographer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
DanWil84, that's an endearing photo of you with your kid brother. Looks like the start of a beautiful friendship. When sibs get along, it is really like having a lifelong friend. I have older and younger sisters, and I feel close to both. I introduced my younger sister to the art museum where she has taught over the years, back when she was in grade school, taking the commuter train downtown together on holidays. Sibs can have a competitive thing, but when it is more of a friendship, it really works well for everyone.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72