PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
As a newbie I became obsessed with packing methods because it seemed (is?) so vital to getting everything else right. Then, I realized that I really enjoy the feel of scooping tobacco out of my jars with my pipe, so I just decided to figure out how to make that method work best for me. It's kind of a modification of the 3-step method, but it's so pleasurable to me to scoop down in there, hearing the briar lightly tapping the sides of the jar as I scoop, pack, repeat. The exception is when something needs additional drying time out of the jar. I guess at that point I 3-step it.

Reactions: UncleRasta

It's not an art by any means and there is no single way to pack a pipe.

I most definitely pack a pipe full of thin stringy Germain type ribbon differently than I do a standard ribbon which is different that a rubbed out flake, which is definitely different than a straight cubed, etc etc... using the same method will only be a lesson in frustration.

You need 3 things to make a fire: Fuel, heat, oxygen. How you get those 3 things working in harmony depends on the type of fuel you are trying to burn. Learning from trial and error worked for me. Best rule of thumb is packing loose is always better. It's easy to pack down a pipe after it's lit. Not so easy to loosen one up.

And then there's the pipe..... puffy

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Through years of hamhanded trial and error trying out packing methods both prescribed and improvised, I have tried some variation of the swirl method; admittedly, a good smoke can be had this way. Be happy you’ve discovered a way that works for you. puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why No Swirl Love?

If you have to ask, you've never had one.

swirly-6132675.png

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
The guy in that video is quite an unusual character. He dabbles in a lot of fields and oftentimes pushes incorrect information, with the attitude of an expert. I haven’t seen the above video (so this comment isn’t quite relevant), but just figured I’d make that an alert.

I noticed that too. I started watching his videos a few years ago. A few videos deep I started to notice he was full of $hit, with a few things. Well, I watched some of his newer stuff and he's selling 'get rich quick' empowerment schemes.

I noticed in his early pipe videos, he said he always carried a ziplock with a new cob, a small sample of tobacco, cleaners, tamper, and matches to give away. He then said when he'd be out at a show, or for dinner, and step out to smoke his pipe, if someone would ask about his pipe smoking, he'd offer the giveaway bag as a way to have the conversation go longer. He'd offer to give them pipe smoking lessons. I thought, well that's cool. What he was really doing was using it as a way to suck you into his pyramid schemes.

In short, I wouldn't take much of what he says too far, you might end up selling Amway.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
In short, I wouldn't take much of what he says too far, you might end up selling Amway.

A few years ago Bruno put out decent pipe and beard vids. I’m Not a fan of the whole 21/blue pill/red pill deal, but his daily rants still have some gems occasionally. I put him on in the background sometimes during my morning smoke and read. What’s he selling? I haven’t seen/heard any product pushes other than the occasional link for beef or a hair/beard trimmer.

Reactions: UncleRasta

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
A few years ago Bruno put out decent pipe and beard vids. I’m Not a fan of the whole 21/blue pill/red pill deal, but his daily rants still have some gems occasionally. I put him on in the background sometimes during my morning smoke and read. What’s he selling? I haven’t seen/heard any product pushes other than the occasional link for beef or a hair/beard trimmer.
In one of his videos where he is ranting about “getting rid of the ball and chain” in your life, his female roommate interrupts the video by yelling at him to feed the cats, after which he angrily grunts that he can’t get up early enough to avoid being pestered by his roommate.

In another series of videos, he expertly teaches how to home-roast coffee...and unless you like your coffee to taste like an ashtray, I would really recommend not taking his guidance.

He is a barber for a living, and even though he seems to work somewhere new every few months, he appears to actually have legitimate knowledge in that field. Other than hair information, though, he’s usually wrong or way “out-there.”

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Loading a pipe when the tobacco is at the right moisture level is easy. And it won't jam up or clog with the packing or tamping. It just works.

Rope, flakes and plugs take a bit more doing, some finesse in fact.
(repeat without complex analogy or sarcasm on need to watch hours of videos)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Loading a pipe when the tobacco is at the right moisture level is easy. And it won't jam up or clog with the packing or tamping. It just works.

It's easy at any moisture level. Pack light and adjust the pack accordingly with a tamper when lighting.

The actual loading/packing is about the same, but I'm talking having a good smoke throughout the bowl. Can't do that if the tobacco has a lot of moisture.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m still a novice when it comes to all things pipe-related, so my opinion doesn’t hold much weight... Having said that, I find the “swirl” method to be extremely effective and oddly satisfying. BUT, in my experience it only works well with ready rubbed or ribbon cut tobaccos. Those long stringy bits cling to each other just right and it really is an elegantly simple way to prepare a bowl. I swirl until the bowl is full to the top, then firmly but gently compress the whole thing down maybe half an inch and BINGO. Smokes like a champ. I do this with H&H Blackhouse and it makes for a wonderful smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.