PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That whenever you don't have funds there are dozens of pipes you'd love to have, but the moment you have pipe funds you can't seem to find one that speaks to you?
Guess this means I should just order more tobacco instead lol.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've been haunting smokingpipes and pipesandcigars as well as tobaccopipecollectors drbobpipes and Don Warren's etsy. Not to mention haunting a few carvers Instagram accounts and their linked sites. Nothing is speaking to me right now.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I know ebay is not the preferred source for pipes for some, but an auction that starts at 0 and sells at the best price someone will bid for it at a certain time has advantages over pipe retailers. Don't get me wrong, I've bought from them before and will do so again, but I've picked up an estate Kevin Arthur and Bertram Safferling for about a third of what I would have paid at a retailer. There's nothing better than a pipe that cost me $50.00 when I would have paid three or four times that amount of smokingpipes.
Yes, you have to know what you're doing, and yes, I only buy from ebay vendors that have a sterling reputation; and yes, there's always the chance that someone with more money to spend can outbid me, while if I want something from a retailer it's mine, but these savings outweigh the disadvantages, at least to me.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
I just had this problem! Finally saved enough money to get a "expensive" pipe. Looked at all the pipes I could find but none sang to me. I know I am supposed to like Dunhill pipes because everyone says so. But the costs is prohibitive to me as I simply look at them and say it is not worth the money. Others love them and they are in no fear of going out of business so there is something there just not for me.
Then I saw a thread where the OP indicated finding a carver and commissioning a pipe is the best value. That made sense to me. So I found Clark Layton through a post from Peck. I tried to insert the link below, if it does not work just Google him and he comes up. He did the pipe in the below pic and if you search in the forums you will find he made quite a few pipes for forum members recently. I included a pic of the XXL he built me next to my Ferndown 1 * so you get a idea of scale. No gurgle, smooth draw, never gets hot, BJ Long extra absorbent pipe cleaner passes from bit to bowl with no issue, it is the finest pipe I have. Clark answered all my questions quickly and sent me quite a few photos as he made my pipe. It was a great experience and I cannot say enough good things about working with Clark.
Layton Pipes
001-600x337.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I take it his pipe is the lower? Probably so, and definitely a sweet pipe. Many bents do pass a cleaner, in fact, that's the norm, and that's another reason to like it.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Forgot to mention that the prices he charges are extremely reasonable. I was worried about price but that worry was put to rest early on. End state: I am saving for another Layton commission!!

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Hi 4nogginsmike,
Sorry, yes the bottom of the two pipes is the Layton XXL.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
True, when you are on the verge of a pipe commitment, you are much more critical. After all, a pipe

can last a lifetime or more, so you don't want to buy just anything, especially if you already have a few

pipes on the rack(s). I sometimes visit a pipe for weeks or months before I bite, half hoping someone

else grabs it to eliminate the temptation. By the time I pull the trigger, I usually know the pipe pretty

well. Mostly, this results in buying good smokers.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I sometimes visit a pipe for weeks or months before I bite, half hoping someone

else grabs it to eliminate the temptation. By the time I pull the trigger, I usually know the pipe pretty

well. Mostly, this results in buying good smokers.
I do this too, and fear that I have missed out on a lot of good pipes as a result.
The funny thing is, I tend to be more impulsive when I am actually set on purchasing. Window shopping is fun, but nothing beats actually pulling that trigger.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I just commissioned a Cooke and he has a very simple method of picking a pipe. The fact that I made $450 payment with other half at delivery combined with waiting till Aug/Sept of 2015 kinda bites, but wow will I be happy then!! Gives me a moment to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.