PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Because I love tobacco...the smell of it, the taste of it and the nicotine. And of all the methods of partaking of this wonderful leaf, smoking it in a pipe is by far the most enjoyable for me. Cigars are good too, but in addition to being more expensive I don't find them as satisfying as pipe tobacco.

Then there is the pipe itself...its aesthetic and tactile properties contribute to the overall experience.

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
A enjoyable tobacco sitting outdoors with Ollie (my 19 year old macaw) relaxes my body and lowers blood pressure.
The other option is take a handfull of pills from the Veterans clinic. I have to monitor blood pressure all day and it gets relayed to them real time.
They ask me during these hours what medications I took and what was I doing.
Then say it's bad for me. Lol
I'm not having mini strokes anymore.
So short answer calming pleasant activity.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A enjoyable tobacco sitting outdoors with Ollie (my 19 year old macaw) relaxes my body and lowers blood pressure.
The other option is take a handfull of pills from the Veterans clinic. I have to monitor blood pressure all day and it gets relayed to them real time.
They ask me during these hours what medications I took and what was I doing.
Then say it's bad for me. Lol
I'm not having mini strokes anymore.
So short answer calming pleasant activity.
I've had to monitor my blood pressure for a while still do not so like a hawk though. And pipes seem to lower it. I think the relaxation comboed with that it means I do go out of the house every couple of days and it lowers my junk food intake.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
First time round to get off cigarettes. Successfully.

Smoking a pipe forces me to slow down - I find it very relaxing. I enjoy the variety of blends and different flavours available, compared to cigars. I also enjoy the vicarious thrill of searching for and nabbing my next pipe. Being relatively new still (just 3 years back into pipes), I get a lot of enjoyment looking at pipes, reading the history behind the various storied marques, and researching the latest find.

And not least, being part of the pipe community here - the knowledge shared and the banter (and the occasional bun fight !).

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Well, I started in earnest because it was cheaper and a lower nic dose than a cigar. I used to dabble in both pipes and cigars, and when I started writing my dissertation I found that my creative juices were stimulated by smoking a cigar. Well, on a grad school budget, I couldn't afford to smoke a stogie every day while I wrote so I started smoking the pipe instead. Now I smoke because of flavor, and somewhat because of the dose of nicotine is just like the porridge goldilocks ate: just right. I enjoy the wide variety of flavors available, and without fail, every time I spark up a cigar these days (which mostly happens in situations when I can't smoke a pipe, like on the golf course) I wish it was a pipe instead.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not producing much visible smoke with a pipe, I guess I like messing with people. When others are smoking cigarettes around me I've often been asked why I don't light the pipe and then blow out a cloud of smoke to their astonishment.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I enjoy smoking cigars and pipes for the flavour and a moment of reflection and relaxation.

I'm probably kidding myself if I'm saying that smoking a pipe is cheaper than smoking a cigar considering what I have invested in pipes (as my wife likes to point out). I guess the more I smoke, the cheaper it gets per smoke, so there is an incentive to smoke more... puffy