PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Been reading other thread. Nicotine is one of the reasons, but there are other more efficient way of getting nic. Flavor is another, but there are, also, other ways. So why pipe smoking? Been too occupied to smoke pipe lately. Been smoking cigarettes. It's much simpler, and provide nic much faster. No clean up, no uneven light. Supplementing that with vape gives me all the flavor I want. So why pipe smoke? For me, I'm not sure why pipe smoke is wanted. But I like it. As soon as time allows, cigarettes will be done, again, and I'll be back to pipes.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Been reading other thread. Nicotine is one of the reasons, but there are other more efficient way of getting nic. Flavor is another, but there are, also, other ways. So why pipe smoking? Been too occupied to smoke pipe lately. Been smoking cigarettes. It's much simpler, and provide nic much faster. No clean up, no uneven light. Supplementing that with vape gives me all the flavor I want. So why pipe smoke? For me, I'm not sure why pipe smoke is wanted. But I like it. As soon as time allows, cigarettes will be done, again, and I'll be back to pipes.
I like smoking meat, camp fires, and wood stoves. This is just something along the same path.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Why? Because I bought over 100 pounds of pipe tobacco and a couple dozen pipes.

Seriously though, I enjoy nicotine/tobacco and pipe smoking imo is the least dangerous method. Plus, I like all the putzing involved with it vs other forms of tobacco.

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
I started it because I came across some videos with pipe smokers, and during the lockdowns I decided to buy my first pipe. Now I own two and to be honest, although I get the urge to have this smokey taste in my mouth and I substitute a pipe for cigarettes or cigars, it's not the same. I prefer cigarettes for their simplicity for example while driving, but nothing compares to smoking a pipe. Also, even with cigarettes I don't inhale the smoke so I don't know how much of a nicotine addiction I have developed. So, to sum up I prefer a pipe for the whole ritual of it, and the variety of tastes.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Pipes are the Goldilocks spot of tobacco use.

It’s pipes or nothing at this point.

Cigarettes are much more unhealthy, very messy and, these days, too expensive. Like wise, cigars (good cigars) are too expensive, even more socially unexceptionable, also messy and for non-smokers, very obnoxious smelling.
Chew, snuff and snus are honestly not options for me.

Just one man’s opinion.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think the pipe is the most efficacious manner to deliver nicotine. Cigarettes are a very good way to deliver nicotine and carcinogens as one takes them into the lungs. The pipe does a decent job with the carcinogens, just not as efficiently as cigarettes. So, the pipe leads the "burning tobaccos" in efficiency with a somewhat lower exposure to carcinogens while delivering sufficient/adequate nicotine.

And, if out of pocket costs are such a consideration, cigarettes being too expensive, a higher paying job could be the answer or, less food, no shoes for the kids and so forth. Priorities folks gotta consider your priorities. Smoking is a selfish choice we've all made so ... the problem is solved.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I mostly smoke aromatics, so I’m not getting that nic hit, however, I still find it relaxing. Also, I like the atmosphere it creates. Lastly, the primal or “genetic” attachment as my great-great, great, grand, and father smoked a pipe. Its practice has faded through the generations, but I’m still carrying the torchpuffy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nicotine is the least of it. If I could smoke great tasting nicotine free tobaccos I'd switch to them in a heartbeat. It's mostly about flavors, and nothing, and I mean NOTHING, offers anything like the sheer kaleidoscopic variety of flavors available in pipe tobaccos.

I also enjoy the puttering around with pipes, the beauty of the pipes I own, the history of the trade, the slowness of pipe smoking, the romanticized arcanery of pipe lore.

I smoked cigarettes for years before quitting cold in 1983. To me, they're crap, especially when I remember some of the no longer made fine cigarettes that were offered by Sobranie and Ardath, among others.

Cigars are wonderful in their own way. Pipe smoking is where it's at, for me.

EDIT: I'm reading about the high price of cigarettes and just shaking my head. I think I paid 35¢ for my last pack.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke a pipe partly as a family legacy. My dad, my grandfather (his dad), and an uncle smoked pipes, my dad almost continuously. It's not for nicotine, I don't think. I inherited my mom's lack of nicotine response. She liked cigarettes so she could talk with dramatic effect, but she never bought a pack that didn't go stale. She just didn't get hooked, And I can stop smoking a pipe without any cravings, for a day, a week, a month. So it is more for the sensory pleasure and relaxation. Also, I suppose I smoke for the sociability online. My only pipe-smoking friend lives about 700 miles away in NYC.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Mostly it's a status thing. A pastime for the elite, real intellectuals, and sophisticates. Nothing more firmly cements my place as king of the trailer park as sitting around smoking a pipe amidst a crowd of dollar store plastic flamingos. ????????????
Hmm.. Plastic flamingos. I wonder what new lawn nazis will think of them. I need to get some.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Because it's manly.

Also, because it's anachronic, makes me look old, few people do it so it makes me stand out, and I love to see big billows of smoke coming out of my mouth.

The fact that the World Harm Organisation and the gov't's hate tobacco smoking is also a bonus.

Nicotine has nothing to do with it. I hardly ever feel it from a pipe, and I'm rather intolerant of it: that's why I think twice before smoking a very mild cigar.