PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I was on my way into work today, which is one of my favorite times to enjoy my pipe. The thought came across, Why do we smoke a pipe? Is it for taste, pleasure, relaxing, tradition, or just something to do? I'm sure everyone has their own reasons. Maybe it's to sit around with some friends, talk and enjoy a good smoke (which I think I'm the only pipe smoker in Toledo, so that leaves me out). But for me anyway it's alittle of everything. Tradition being on the top of the list. It's my time to sit back light up and try to think about things of the past. My father, grandfather, a time when things were slower and less confusing. In our age of computers and machines that are supposed to make everything easier, I find that it just makes room for someone to pile more on the plate. So smokeing a pipe kinda takes me back alittle, slows everything down, stops the noise. If even for an hour or so. Helps put things in perspective and lets me think about what is really important. And it tastes good too!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I smoke to relax and unwind. I also smoke to connect to the past. Both of my grandfather's smoked and this is my way to connect to them. I do use it to try to slow things down and disconnect from our fast paced world.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For me it's the tobacco. I absolutely love fine pipe tobacco- the incredible diversity of blends and flavors, the changes over time, the infinite variables of pipe, shape, age, blend, moisture content, etc. It's much like wine collecting. Secondarily, I love wood and everything to do with wood from whittling to carving to furniture, etc - I even heat my house with wood. So I appreciate the pipe as a crafted wooden object. But I would still be fascinated by and obsessed with the tobacco if pipes were all made of Meerschaum, clay, or something else.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Don't inhale, not the best lungs, keeps me off Cigs ( haven't had one in 7 yrs) love the taste, cheaper than cigars & addictive personality.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Good question. For me, it's a lot of things: the look of the pipe, holding it in my hand, feeling the wood, admiring the craftsmanship, lighting up and feeling the pipe get warm, and, of course, the taste and smell of the tobacco, the relaxation of leisurely smoking, seeing the smoke rise, etc.
My least favourite aspects? Cleaning the dang things and refilling the !*&!*! butane lighter.
And yes, you probably are the only pipe smoker in Toledo (but for some reason, there seem to be a lot in Columbus).

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I've loved tobacco since a youngster. Living on Brazil back then, shops were happy to sell cigarettes to anyone, even if they had trouble seeing over the counter!
Pipe tobacco gives you such a wide choice of flavours and styles. I like the ritual of picking a pipe from the rack, preparing flakes and filling the bowl. I like the relaxation of gently puffing away thoughtfully. I even enjoy the "chore" of deep cleaning my pipes once a month.
It's a refuge in this face pace world where I can enjoy a little time in my own, slower and more relaxed cocoon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the Zen answer. To slow down and arrive in the moment for a period of time. To think.

To engage a question, problem, project, or feeling. Pipes give a lot of options and artistry in

selecting which pipe, which tobacco, how much to pack in the bowl, and so on. Cigarettes don't

do that, and cigars, though I enjoy them, seem more limiting. Cigar butts and pipe tobacco are

disposable and compostable, but a pipe is a lasting and developing entity that breaks in and

develops increased "personality." Moderation in all things, but a good pipe enhances moderation.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
My reasons have changed. It started off to spend time with the Guys at the local Cigar Lounge, but I found I didnt care for cigars. I did enjoy the time with the guys though. But has i've "gotten into it", I now love the artistry of the pipes themselves, I love the smell of my aros (no flame please), I love the act of lighting a new bowl and of course, I super dig all of the people on this forum!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good question. For me, it's a lot of things: the look of the pipe, holding it in my hand, feeling the wood, admiring the craftsmanship, lighting up and feeling the pipe get warm, and, of course, the taste and smell of the tobacco, the relaxation of leisurely smoking, seeing the smoke rise, etc.
+1
For me, it suits my genetic code perfectly. I've always been attracted to smoking for some reason (as were my parents and grandparents - my grandfather smoked a pipe). I smoked cigarettes for a while, but I hated the stink of it so I quit. I went without smoking for many years until the thought of smoking a pipe just popped into my head.
It's been the best thing for me in many ways.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
Originally it was for financial and ecological reasons. It costs less and there's no filters to dispose. Now it's because it tastes great, has more variety than I can hope to explore and helps me think. There's nothing better than sitting on my porch with a note book, a pipe and a cup of tea as I watch the world go by. It's become about the peaceful and exciting adventure of it. It helps put things into perspective. It just feels right and good to me.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I smoke a pipe out of nostalgia. I have always loved the image of a pipe smoker and my grandfather smoked one. It gives me a moment of clarity in a busy day and a chance to reset.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
For me personally, there's no family tradition (although that old tobacco pouch had to have come from somewhere...). It's more a case of reinventing myself. Just as I was beginning to explore the hobby, I lost my job - so I've been writing up my resume, applying for available positions, interviewing, and studying for certification exams. The pipe gives me some time to relax, but also has given me a new image of myself as a pipe smoker to hold onto, as a break from my previous image of myself. I've started reading philosophy again, making things with my hands (mostly leatherwork at this point, with a little sewing), and rediscovering some old hobbies that make me happy - and having a new hobby added into the mix helps differentiate who I am now from who I was a few months ago, and who I was when I stopped doing all those other things that I'm rediscovering now...

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
My first pipe belonged to my brother, so a connection thing is going on, I have always loved the smell of pipe tobacco and going into a pipe shop even 40 years before I ever smoked. My hobby has been woodworking and I absolutly love the beauty of the briar grain. Now I really enjoy the relaxation, and flavors available. It seems like the best part of the day is relaxing with a bowl and reading this forum. Cheers!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
My pipes are memories of things past.
My pipes are friends who remind me of where we were when that happened.
I enjoy the feeling of having been and that pipe, right there, accompanied me.
I also enjoy the taste of these astounding tobaccos today. This is a marvelous hobby, and way of life.

longshot

Might Stick Around
May 16, 2011
It's part of my past, my father would smoke a pipe around the house, when he would oil paint and draw, when we were out hiking or fishing. It's sort of a vehicle back to those times, with a bit of tradition thrown in. Not to mention, these days my life is filled with the constants of work and kids, I seem to always be busy and queued for the next action. Having a few minutes a day to just unhook from that pace, is an absolute blessing.

Aug 14, 2012
It has changed. As a young teenager I smoked a pipe originally to piss people off, and to try to stunt my growth. I was headed towards being Andre the Giant. I never got nearly as big as Andre, but don't know if it was tobacco or the destined growth pattern. Later I smoked because I had developed a deep appreciation of the tastes involved, and a love for nicotine. Cigars were often preferred during my most active years because a pipe is distracting and time consuming. But I always got in at least several pipes a week. Now a pipe is the first choice because of the subtlety and deliciousness of it. And the economy, vs. cigars. Given the choice between a Cuban Churchill and a Dunhill Root Briar with a good Balkan in it, I would pick the Dunhill every time.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
+2

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Great question! Great answers too! I can tell if I saw any one of you on your front porch smoking a pipe, I could pull over and share a bowl with you, though we've never met. Here's why I smoke a pipe:
The same reason I throw boomerangs. Zen. I can't throw a football seventy yards, but I can take this little, unpowered STICK!, and throw it in a seventy yard diameter circle and catch it on the return. And that's not even a long distance boomerang. It's like Winnie the Pooh. Eeyore worries, Piglet frets, Pooh just is.
Kilimanjaro-1.jpg
MTA-1.jpg
Rang3.jpg
Rang5.jpg

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
It seems like the best part of the day is relaxing with a bowl and reading this forum.
Trailspike - I was thinking of going into this long diatribe, but your quote is perfect :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.