PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
He smoked both cigars and pipes.

It was attributed to him from a speech in which he was discussing noun genders in Romance languages, and sexual roles in sentence structures. Language studies was one earliest and most famous studies, before psychology. However, Germanic and English speakers have a hard time understanding this concept... so in a moment of awkwardness, he said the now famous and often misunderstood phrase to break the ice.
However, because there is no evidence (written or recorded) Google states that there is no evidence. However, it is one of his most famous saying... that many witnesses have recalled throughout history.
nifty.

Tbaggins

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2021
Montana
Always wanted to smoke a pipe since I was a little kid. No idea why I was drawn to it. Also variety is the spice of life. It’s great trying different blends and leaves, learning where they’re grown and the processes used to cure them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People smoke pipes and other things for many reasons, probably. Trying to visualize how it all started, it seems like folks seated around the fire in their cave, hogan, teepee, or other residence liked the smell of the burning wood, and probably threw on the occasional herbs and found them aromatic.

So someone suggested they might smell the aromas better if they drew it from the cloud of smoke above the fire through a reed. After a few generations of that, people figured out they could attach the reed to a little bowl and taste the burning herbs in their mouthes that way, and the pipe was born.

Conversational smoking, ceremonial smoking, after-hunt smoking, and pure recreational smoking followed, by this hypothesis. It could be true.

This isn't why we smoke, but an idea of how we came to smoke. For the why, we enter the recesses of the human mind, as you will.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@woodsroad: The ones I saw back in Chicago in 2015 were truly amazing - never in my life had I seen so many C-Pap machine users in one place. Add in to that the fellow who would not stop burbling into the public address system like some dement huckster selling water melons on Isle 3 today only. The fact he was 'differently' abled was the only thing that saved him from me shoving that microphone up his arse since his voice over came any normal attempts at conversation. I especially love the people who carry pipes that will hold the equivalent of a one pound of sample tobacco and are carved to resemble steam shovel buckets. I know we have a picture of one of those critters somewhere!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Love the taste of smoke.
Love the smell of smoke.
Love the look of smoke.

I chose pipes over other methods because they are beautiful to me. There are so many different types of pipe tobacco. Pipe tobacco is on the cheaper side compared to others.

I just LOVE pipes man. Love love love them.