Why Didn't You Smoke Pipes Earlier?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I just didn't have the time to smoke a pipe. Raising a house full of girls by myself, trying to get them to their events, stuff for school, juggling jobs, a father needing help, grandparents in nursing homes to visit, running a business... I think I went 18 years without ever setting down except to tie my shoes. I definitely didn't have the time to set down and fiddle with a pipe. Besides, cigarettes were cheap here.

I did have interest though. I bought a bucket pipe and a pack of OTC a couple of times. Scalded my mouth, threw it all away, thinking that I'd come back to this when I had time. I don't really have time now, but I manage to keep a pipe going as I continue to work. I hate setting down. If pipe smoking didn't work out great to do while I am doing other things, I wouldn't be interested. The very idea of setting around fiddle fuddling while smoking a pipe seems like a big waste of time to me. Go go go...

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
After trying the disgusting pack cigarettes, the cigars and some tobaccos with my father's pipes. hidden or when i was home alone, with only fourteen or fifteen years. I mark that pleasant and strong smell forever. And I started smoking seriously at 21. However I did not pay attention to the pipes. I think I was very focused on work and the cigar calmed my cravings to continue investigating. I did not imagine the great treasure that the tobacco shops kept in those years. Now with internet, you have everything at your fingertips. In the nineties I only had a brick with an antenna. (mobile phone) to meet friends and the boss. In my city I didn't see pipe smokers on the streets. There were only fields of grapes and rolling tobacco. The internet gave me another push to smoke a pipe. Even though I liked to smoke from a very young age. In the nineties, a new season of sports has arrived and a very strong campaign against tobacco has arrived. A cluster of circumstances, to turn the smoker into a socially horrible being.

Mar 1, 2014
Where do you live?
Canada.
Saying I would be arrested "just" for smoking in public might be an exaggeration, but we're all quite familiar with the regular restrictions around proximity to buildings and recreational areas with public access.
When virtually all public places are on the prohibition list, smoking is effectively a banned public behavior.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Canada.
Saying I would be arrested "just" for smoking in public might be an exaggeration, but we're all quite familiar with the regular restrictions around proximity to buildings and recreational areas with public access.
When virtually all public places are on the prohibition list, smoking is effectively a banned public behavior.
Similar situation in Australia - not arrests, but definitely fines apply if caught smoking within certain distance from public eating places (cafes and restaurants), schools/kindergartens, public parks, etc, etc.

Reactions: JOHN72
Mar 1, 2014
Similar situation in Australia - not arrests, but definitely fines apply if caught smoking within certain distance from public eating places (cafes and restaurants), schools/kindergartens, public parks, etc, etc.
The thing is people just don't get arrested because no-one is dumb enough to push the limits, if someone were to start smoking in a restaurant and refused to stop they would be arrested, this would not be treated like a speeding ticket.

Smoking in restaurants is now a bucket list activity for future travel plans.

Reactions: OzPiper and JOHN72

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Smoking in restaurants is now a bucket list activity for future travel plans.
Oh for the days when you can retire to the bar or lounge after dinner and enjoy a glass of vintage port or cognac with a cigar with a piano or jazz trio in the background.

Have to make do with a restaurant meal, then a visit to a cigar lounge after.

The anti-smoking brigade and fun police have a lot to answer for ?

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Smoked cigs from 16-23 or so.... quit cold turkey.. picked up cigars in my mid to late 20s as an occasional treat... tried pipes in my early 30s.. forgot about them for a decade or so and then picked them back up in the last 2 or so years

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Age 19. Location: On an icebreaker somewhere in the Bering Sea. What: Whatever cheap pipe and tobacco they had in the ships store. I think it was Borkum Rif Whiskey. Why? There were some senior enlisted pipe smokers who would sit on the fantail and smoke. I thought it would be cool to sit with them. Two of them actually took me under their wings and taught me how to smoke a pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I began smoking cigars at 12 years old. I was a big cigar guy when I got older and never thought to smoke a pipe. One of my cigar buddies bugged the shit out of me to try a pipe. I finally broke down and bought a pipe and the rest was history. I eventually gave up my cigars and sold them all off.

The cigar buddy who got me into pipes was hoosierpipeguy. He was the master but as with most things, the student became the master and now my pipe knowledge dwarfs his.