PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperookie

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
Grew up reading Sherlock Holmes and Tolkien's works. Saw pipe smoking as a calming agent in the book "The Pacific" (Main character uses a pipe to relax between battles). These past two years in college have been pretty hectic and stressful. Wanted something to relax and give me a bit of peace. Picked up a cob and I love it.

Aug 14, 2012
I may have answered this before. What it amounts to is this. I found an old pipe & tobacco in the family closet when I was 14 and tried it. I had started smoking small cigars at age 12, and they were too expensive, 25 cents I think, for a 5 pack of cigarillos. So I switched.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I started pipe smoking because I was eighteen when the last Lord of the Rings movie came out. My stepdad used to have a pipe every now and again and after the movies came out and I hit eighteen I decided to give it a try. I didn't enjoy the tongue bite, but I did like how relaxin it was to sit outside and smoke a pipe. That's the major reason I smoke pipes these days. It's a very relaxing and calming thing to do and in todays busy chaotic world it's definitely needed.

chesterton

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm interested in it because:
The smell is good.
I'm interested in the mind clearing/focusing characteristics of pipe smoking. I want to be a cartoonist for a comic strip one of my brothers writes, and I want to be a novelist, maybe illustrating my own novels. In addition, I want to submit a puzzle for syndication in the papers, hopefully in a week or two. So all that mental stuff could maybe be helped by pipe smoking.
I like that it doesn't seem like too much of a health risk, beyond just the basic fact that it's smoking.
I like having collections and sets of things. Going with the odds, acquiring different tobaccos and pipes would probably be fun or me.
Also, it looks like I'll be moving to Kansas City in less than two weeks, so I'll be there in June for the pipe show.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I was picking up a few cigars and saw the guy in the shop smoking a pipe and I thought, "Hell yeah."
-The End

guerillapiper

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2013
USA
I've always loved tobacco in all of its forms, but pipe smoking turns out to be the best delivery system for taste and aroma.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I love smoking, but I've never wanted to inhale. (I did inhale the very first thing I smoked -- a Kool Mild cigarette -- and absolutely loved it. But I knew I never wanted to be addicted to it.) Although I come from a family of nonsmokers -- one grandfather smoked cigars, one great-grandfather smoked a pipe -- there was just something about the pipe that has always appealed to me.
I was in a band that toured the midwest and East back in the early 80s, and we did one song where we all had corncob pipes as props. One day I decided to actually try smoking one. Not the best experience -- it was some cherry drugstore tobacco -- but something clicked and I was sold. After our tour ended, I went to a local Tinder Box, bought a no-name board pipe (which I still treasure), and haven't looked back.
Bob

jogrefoln

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Knight Island, AK
My perspective is from someone who has yet to even smoke a pipe. 5 more days!! I quit smoking nails 7 years ago. I'm hard headed so when I decided to quit I just quit and never looked back. I gave it the old pros-vs-cons and the cons won. Primarily due to the exorbitant cost, followed by a sense that I really didn't like what I was smoking. It just felt cheap and common; no real personality to it anymore which, for me anyway, removed all purpose. I felt like a sucker shilled by a camel in a leather jacket and sunglasses. BUT... I LOVE TO SMOKE!!! For some reason pipes never even crossed my mind as an alternative, and I only smoked cigars once in a great while; again due to the consideration of cost. It seems I have an affliction acquired from my Mother of having champagne taste supported by a Budweiser budget. If you laid out before me a dozen samples of anything of quality, priced lowest to highest my eye will inevitable be drawn to the most expensive choice. I really don't understand it, and find it to be a bit of a curse as I've yet to find a proper benefit of the ailment other than being forced to choose my indulgences carefully with respect to my finances. I am relieved to not have a penchant for sports cars.
The owner of this ranch I'm caretaking for has a black and white photo of his very distinguished looking Father in the main room. Time had faded his hair to grey; the years having carved deep furrows of wisdom into his face, and flooded his eyes with easily perceptible knowledge. In his mouth hangs a squashed bulldog pipe of unknown craftsmanship that looks like worn leather to me; almost as if the artisan patterned it after the smokers own skin. So naturally does it hang from his face I have come to believe that it must have been a permanent appendage. He has an ever so slight, and revealing smile akin to the cat who ate the bird. A hint of a grin exposing a man with a secret knowledge seemingly attached directly to that pipe. As though the memories of his life would not be worth recounting without it, or perhaps their review was somehow enhanced by the use of it. I believe this is where my romance with the pipe began.
After reflecting on this image for some time I was moved to investigate this pipe further as I continued to find it more and more striking. To me it seemed a true piece of art. As I viewed pipe after pipe I began to romanticize the idea of pipe smoking. I read articles on tobacco, pipes and pipe making, stories of how current makers became involved, the incredible detail involved in the craftsmanship. I re-discovered the personality of smoking, and created an atmosphere of nostalgia in my mind that fosters the return of it as a relaxing, and reflective activity. To be included in it's rich history even if only by mere participation in it. From the men (and women respectively) throughout history who smoked them, to the men throughout history who made them, and not least the mannerly countenance I have found on forums such as this have lead me to believe it is a worthy group to be alloyed to, to take benefit of, and possibly contribute to by it's respectful promotion.
As I said I am hard headed,(and admittedly far too verbose, with no apologies for either) so even though I have yet to partake in the experience my mind is made up; I am certain pipe smoking will endear itself to me as one who reflects on life like a full time job, deeply enjoys my selective indulgences, and is excited to have once again found a way to simply smoke.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Same reason as you oppie. Nails got too expensive, but i love tobacco so now i smoke pipes and cigars. I can also tell a huge difference in the quality of my lungs as well. Glad I made the switch, just like the rest of all you fine people! Keep on puffin!

jogrefoln

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Knight Island, AK
@flintlockjohn - Then my dog and I are going to pull up stakes and take a 22 mile snow machine ride out of this snowy valley I've been living in for 5 months to Pinedale, WY where my wife will be waiting with my new-to-me Dunhill and some Father Dempsey and then ...let the smoking begin!! :puffy:

briarben

Lurker
Mar 28, 2013
My dad blames letting me grow up on authors like Tolkien :D. Not really sure the exact reason though I just knew it was somthing I wanted to try. So I picked up a cheap pipe and drugstore tobacco and somehow managed not to give it up before I found the good stuff

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
In my first year of college a good friend picked up the pipe, as it turns out he hated pipe smoking. Looking back, he was sold the wrong pipe and wrong tobacco by the B&M that saw a college kid with cash and not a future customer. His pipe was a jumbo pot, that couldn't be clenched and when loaded was at least a 2 hour smoke.
My dad, and grand-dad, had both smoked pipe (grand-dad until he died, and dad until the Doctor swore him off tobacco), so when I saw my friend battling I offered to teach him how to load a bowl, light a bowl, and keep it lit. Even still, the pipe wasn't for him... so it came to me. He passed it on to me, and I enjoyed a couple bowls a week for a few years. I was a pack-a-day guy back then. So pipe smoking was an event.
I quit all tobacco in 2006, but really missed the pipe. As much for the art of the briar as for the smoke. So in 2012 I began exploring estate pipes, and restoration... and I came back. I smoke a bowl or two each month, at pipe club meetings and after special meals/events. I have slowly built up my workbench/shop and now have 10 old pipes in varying states of clean-up and restoration.
It's nice to be back.
-- Pat

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
I had some familial influence for picking up pipe smoking. An Uncle had been a pipe smoker, liked the aroma of the tobacco he used. Darned if I can recall what it was, he has since quit smoking altogether. I like the feeling of "Pomp and Circumstance" or ritual of using a pipe. The distraction, probably not the right word, of packing then lighting the pipe is mind clearing. A trait I found from cigars too. A humidor occupies a space at my desk, and now a jar for pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.