Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
For me it was a mix of their common presence in works of fantasy and growing up fishing with a bunch of old guys who puffed away at equally old pipes all the time. They convinced me to have my first smoke and i haven't looked back since. What made you into a pipe smoker?

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
Got to college (1978) and met a sophomore who was just the coolest. He used and old fashioned manual typewriter and listened to everything from the Grateful Dead to Led Zeppelin to punk.....and he smoked pipes......we became friends and the rest is pipe history!!
First tobacco: Captain Black (of course).

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I hoped it would make me look intellectual and raise my status within the herd, thus improving my chances for mating.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I hoped it would make me look intellectual and raise my status within the herd, thus improving my chances for mating.

Uhh, hate to ask but how did that work out?

:rofl:
I've always thought of pipe smoking as a very prestigious art and it gave me an excuse to quit smoking!

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
I picked up a pipe in a two fold type of way. One was the romaticism I had with them way back when my uncle would light up a bowl of Holiday mix while we were fishing. And the other reason was that back in 82 when most of my firends were puffing on cigarettes, I was smoking Captain Black in a Dr Grabow. I kinda had the economics of pipe vs cigs in mind back then. And if I want a nostalgic trip back in time, I can light up a bowl of Holiday, and it takes me back to 1973, sitting on a lake south of Chapleau, Ont, swattin black flies and reelin in northerns with my dad and uncle. I dont think a cig could do that for me.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I decided to pick up the pipe because it is so nostalgic and presents this somewhat sophisticated appearance.

My biggest factor in starting the pipe was to quit cigarettes. I loved tobacco and leaving it behind seemed unlikely but I couldn't handle the tolls on my health that cigarettes were doing.

Loving it so far and although it doesn't replace a cigarette, but I've got an electronic cigarette for the rough days.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Uhh, hate to ask but how did that work out?
It was successful, at least with the college females I saw in 1978.
I was a pipeman before I met the girl I eventually married, so pipe smoking and stinky blends have never been an issue in my house.
My habit of leaving clothes on the floor, however, has been a source of tension.
29 years on June 11th, the hard way....to the same woman. :D

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
For me it was growing up around my grandfather and uncle's who all smoked pipes. They were poor hard working farmers and carpenters but were true southern gentlemen. I learned so much from them and pipes was part of it along with how real men should behave, how to wear a hat, proper dress of a gentleman, ect. For me it all went together.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
My closest friend has smoked a pipe since i met him . He bugged me for years about a year ago my wife , out of the blue, said " you need to relax, why don't you get lauren , said friend, to take you to get a pipe". Did with a little pa & been relaxing ever since. :puffy:

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I started largely because of my dad's friend. He would smoke his whenever he would come over for a bon fire. I sort of forgot about it until one day my friend found an old pipe in an old chicken coop at his hobby farm. We cleaned it up a little and bought some cheap smokers pride tobacco for it (same stuff my dad's friend smokes). The day I turned 18 I bought a cheap pipe and some Carter Hall and was instantly hooked. It was also a substitute for cigars which my dad and my friends really like to smoke and I only like on occasion. This story reminds me that I really should go smoke a bowl with the man who really did introduce me to pipe smoking!

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I started when I was 21. After he first smoke I knew I could never go back. It just relaxes me and allows me to get away while on my back porch. Now I am 32 and it's my favorite hobby.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
raise my status within the herd, thus improving my chances for mating.
Mlaug you're such a handsome devil.. I wouldn't think you need anything more than your good looks.
Familial influence going back generations.

:puffy:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I moved from cigars to pipes to save money. Plus the ladies like the smell better.

First tobacco was an unknown aros from a place in my college town called buttered rum.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
To put down nails. And while I find a nail in my hand from time to time, I pick up the pipe about 98% of the time now. Now if I could only get my wife to smoke a pipe with me.... :puffy:

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
For enjoyment and relaxtion and the nostalgia factor. I was never a smoker beforehand, tried a cigarette and hated it. Pipe tobacco is a whole other ballgame, much more enjoyable and I look forward to collecting some great briar pipes once I get some funds to spend.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Started as the proper thing to do in the end in front of the fire while mountaneering.
Then I took up cigarettes that eventually I quit because they affected my cardio very much. Nonetheless, I kept the cigar smoking for relaxed moments, but I truly hated the smell of the house with them, so one day in the Cava del Habano, while getting my cubans, I bought some Peterson Sunset Breeze instead, rescued my old pipe, and have been carrying a briar ever since...

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have always enjoyed the simple and more classical things in life and It reminds me of those long Sunday morning drives with my grandfather visiting the family and delivering whatever Italian favourite happened to be on sale that week. Some days it would be hunks of romano cheese, other days it would be gallons of olive oil and other days it would be homemade goods like wine, dried peppers, dried sausage, prosciutto, canned fruit or other food. Always drove a gigantic car, always singing, humming, listening to crooners or some combination of those activities. All the while he had a pipe going with Captain Black or Half And Half. I can't lie, The Lord Of The Rings movies got me to thinking about it. The memories of my grandfather added the momentum that led me to seek out a pipe of my own and give it a try. My first few experiences with local tobacconist aromatics almost led me to walk away from the pipe. One trip to a different tobacconist and a bowl full of Penzance, however sealed the deal.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I was born in the 60's lived next door to my grandparents till I was 4, I spent a lot of time with my Grandfather he was always smoking a pipe. I even had my own pipes back then, no my parents didn't let me smoke them. My dad smoked a pipe back then too, I remember going out on drives with them or fishing or even just hanging around, I think the mid sixties till mid seventies was the pipe smoking hay day. I tried it in college a bit, it didn't really stick.
I got watching Mad Men and it peeked my intrest again and now with the Internet I was able to find so much information" it's been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.