PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I was sitting on my back porch in Nashville in 2011 and was struck literally out of the blue by a desire to smoke a pipe. I went to Elliston Place Smoke Shop in Nashville and bought a Butz Choquin full bent billiard basket pipe and a tin of Frog Morton Cellar and just damn started. That was it.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and newbroom

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Sucked a Marlboro Red in high school, threw up. Tried cigars in college and loved them…for a few months. Picked up a pipe shortly after and enjoyed it tremendously, but gave that up, too, until twenty-something years later, I’m married, and my wife says to me, she says, “Why do you have a pipe hanging on the wall? (I had a pipe hanging on the wall) My father smoked a pipe,” says my wife, “and I loved the smell. I wouldn’t mind if you got into it.” Haven’t looked back since. I enjoy a good pipe once or twice a day. And a mostly happy wife, too.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I was just trying to avoid inhaling burnt paper. I was rolling my own and so I had 'bulk' tobacco on hand and I thought, why not just a corn cob and skip rolling? A month or so later I found this forum and discovered that I didn't need to inhale if I was patient and I would still get my addiction soothed.
It took awhile, but I began to be able to taste EVERYTHING better.

SSGT.

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
My pipe adventure was doctor recommended, after 35yrs. of smoking cigarettes the Dr. told me quitting all together would be best, but if I was going to smoke smoking a pipe and enjoying the flavor of the tobacco instead of inhaling it straight into my lungs; receive the nicotine thorough my mouth. It has taking some practice and I have to think about holding the smoke in my mouth, now I am breathing better and enjoying the pipe smoke much more than Pall Mall non filters.

The only Issue is now pipe collecting is becoming an obsession/

Reactions: JOHN72 and Elric

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I saw a random ad for pipesandcigars one day before my daughter was born. Something clicked, And about 15 minutes later I had a pipe and 4 tobaccos ordered. Fell in love when it arrived, and the rest is history.

It's funny how things happen on a whim. Saw a picture of a pipe one day, and said "that's what I need".

Pipes are the only form of tobacco consumption that I HAVENT tried or even wanted to quit in the past 12 years.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
My Dad smoked a pipe, though I cannot remember ever seeing him do so. He had an old tin that was labeled as custom blended for him which he used to store random screws and nails. I thought having your own blend sounded pretty cool.

Then I started reading Sherlock Holmes and savoring the aroma of some passerby's pipe. In those days it was still pretty common to see someone with a pipe and even the ladies seemed to approve.

Seeing pipe ads in Playboy probably helped.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
First off ,in many cases Pipes are aestically appealing to me, secundo,generally speaking,, pipes provide most satisfying ,nicotine rich smoke and last but not the least,apart from cigars ,over the past ten years , tailor made cigarettes and RYO tobacco deteriored significantly in the whole EU region. meaning, Marlboros here are not the same to what you are used to in the US

Reactions: johnscs and JOHN72

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Pleasure. I knew men that smoked and enjoyed cigars and pipes. Pipes appealed to me more than cigars, so I tried a pipe and liked it. Pipe smoking is a pleasant activity.

Reactions: johnscs and JOHN72

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Family tradition, Great Great, Great and Father all smoked a pipe and now me. I very much doubt my son will but you never know. He’ll have some lovely pipes and tobacco’s to choose from if he does.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Family tradition, Great Great, Great and Father all smoked a pipe and now me. I very much doubt my son will but you never know. He’ll have some lovely pipes and tobacco’s to choose from if he does.
I’ll be very happy to be adopted if the pipes come with the territory 😁

Both my boys are non-smokers, so I will have to come up with a disposal plan.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Being a rock climber and a mountain climber in the early 70's right to, 1995 when I had a back injury at work, 3 operations, in those day's the only way to keep hands warm, light up my pipe, look back to early mountaineers, they all had a pipe.