New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they make them? Doubt it very much. They sell them, though, attaching a high value to the use of their trademarks and cachet.
No clothing brand has their own production factories any more…. Holston, Vanderbilt, Calvin Clein…. These never did. They had their coiture studios, but production was beneath them. Most didn’t even want a rack line of clothes, but only gave the nod to finance their coiture fix.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

I looked at the link someone posted of the Dunhill website. They have handkerchiefs for £125. T-shirts for £500. If there are idiots out there willing to pay that much, for those items, I am not surprised they got out of the tobacco business.

Reactions: OzPiper and Casual

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I know you may be sarcastic, but I think it is exactly like that, and very sad indeed.

Aside from the formal clothes and shoes there, all the rest looks like shit to my eyes, sweatpants, knitwear and leather trousers WTF. Long way away from this photo
Well, the preppy look has changed since 1980. Conspicuous consumption as a display of wealth and position is an ancient practice. But where in the time of Henry 8 it was cloth-of-gold, it's now a $500 tee. They spend it because they can.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some here simply can understand that there are three brands using the name, "dunhill", "Dunhill, and Dunhill White Spot." I do not believe any of the three are allowed the use of "Alfred Dunhill. Alfred Dunhill being the name most of the older smokers associate with pipes and tobacco. Afred Dunhill was never a product saldesman. From beginning, before tobacco blends, he was developing and selling "high end" automobile accessories and leather goods.. Dunhill fans want him to be a "tobacco vendor" but, I doubt tobacco and pipes took up much of his business efforts.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Well, the preppy look has changed since 1980. Conspicuous consumption as a display of wealth and position is an ancient practice. But where in the time of Henry 8 it was cloth-of-gold, it's now a $500 tee. They spend it because they can.
Of course, everyone does, but I was never fashion-conscious, and wouldn't drop this kind of money on any piece of clothing, always go for function and durability over form. Perhaps bespoke handmade boots from Crete which would last 3 lifetimes.
You are not a member of their target audience, I'm guessing.
Heh, no, not a girly boy, not vain, and with no need to flash or impress :D

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Some here simply can understand that there are three brands using the name, "dunhill", "Dunhill, and Dunhill White Spot." I do not believe any of the three are allowed the use of "Alfred Dunhill. Alfred Dunhill being the name most of the older smokers associate with pipes and tobacco. Afred Dunhill was never a product saldesman. From beginning, before tobacco blends, he was developing and selling "high end" automobile accessories and leather goods.. Dunhill fans want him to be a "tobacco vendor" but, I doubt tobacco and pipes took up much of his business efforts.
He did take the effort to write two books on pipe smoking.

Reactions: fireground_piper

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Random anecdote: when I was a young exchange student, my 'host dad' smoked Dunhill cigarettes...I tried one and could tell, even as a young dumbass, that they were a 'fine product' ..when I found the pipe, almost two decades later, I was sad to see the company shifting towards this weird British Tommy Hillfiger wannabe entity...seriously 'whoa' ...but, whatever. I can say I was glad to see the blends shift to Peterson, at least so I could try them...I have found a few I like just fine.

Reactions: OzPiper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Alfred knew what would sell to his chosen audience, the "Upper Crust." He started out selling leather work, harnesses and the like, moved into auto accessories, radios and the like (in-car radios were a novelty). Tobacco was primarily for the rich, his target audience as he went where the money was, so he created a brand which catered to London's elite, creating, with his customers input, personal blends.

Pipes were a logical extension of his market. He catered to the rich but, managed to ride the growing market, tinning blends, vending pipes at exorbitant and not too exorbitant prices and the like as he widened his customer base. He understood his customer base and understood completely the need for people to try and emulate the "upper crust." Much like today ... in fact just like the present for many consumers. He was a master salesman.

Nothing I've read about the man would lead me to think anything he did in life was for "world betterment." He simply had the awareness to know where the money was and how to separate people from their moneys in a way which didn't generate animosity from his chosen targets. Remember, he started back in the time when making money as considered a "proper" goal. "Proper" at least to those who desired and could afford his products. Not everyone could back then, Very similar today if one excludes those who feel entitled to everything they desire and would prefer not to have to pay for it.

Now what goes round, comes round. Pipe blends are becoming increasingly expensive. So, even though the purchasing power of the masses has increased, government has determined to collect its share through taxes, duties and the like. Tis an interesting time to be alive and observe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Now, wait a minute! I'd buy some $500 shirts in a heart beat under some circumstances..... Namely having disposable income of over 25 million bucks a year, and all the houses and cars already purchased. I've a little ways to go before hitting that plateau!

C

Corcoran-Rooney

Alfred knew what would sell to his chosen audience, the "Upper Crust." He started out selling leather work, harnesses and the like, moved into auto accessories, radios and the like (in-car radios were a novelty). Tobacco was primarily for the rich, his target audience as he went where the money was, so he created a brand which catered to London's elite, creating, with his customers input, personal blends.

Pipes were a logical extension of his market. He catered to the rich but, managed to ride the growing market, tinning blends, vending pipes at exorbitant and not too exorbitant prices and the like as he widened his customer base. He understood his customer base and understood completely the need for people to try and emulate the "upper crust." Much like today ... in fact just like the present for many consumers. He was a master salesman.

Nothing I've read about the man would lead me to think anything he did in life was for "world betterment." He simply had the awareness to know where the money was and how to separate people from their moneys in a way which didn't generate animosity from his chosen targets. Remember, he started back in the time when making money as considered a "proper" goal. "Proper" at least to those who desired and could afford his products. Not everyone could back then, Very similar today if one excludes those who feel entitled to everything they desire and would prefer not to have to pay for it.

Now what goes round, comes round. Pipe blends are becoming increasingly expensive. So, even though the purchasing power of the masses has increased, government has determined to collect its share through taxes, duties and the like. Tis an interesting time to be alive and observe.
As someone who grew up in a working class community in London, this summation sounds entirely correct. The only Dunhill product that anyone really knew about, were the fags. And it was considered highly decadent to smoke them. Anyone who smoked them, were widely considered to be wannabe upper-class wankers. And genuinely upper-crust people would consider them to be gouche products that were tainted by this association. That said, Dunhill lighters were, and are, considered highly desirable items. We have a culture here for thieves to sell their ill gotten gains in pubs (or bars as you would call them), those lighters always sell like hot cakes.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Is what Dunhill is now. Brings to mind children of billionaires, eating caviar on yachts, skateboarding, and trying to decide which luxury car to go out drinking and driving in this weekend…. in a $200 tshirt with Dunhill emblazoned across their chest. All the while coughing when a smoker gets too close and making fun of old men with pipes.
Nope, I just don’t think Dunhill will stay linked to pipes, except within a small circle of old men, who will do their best to keep Dunhill linked to pipes in utter futility, against the wishes of the Dunhill conglomerate.
Omg. The website. I can't even take it seriously

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
https://www.dunhill.com/us Is what Dunhill is now. Brings to mind children of billionaires, eating caviar on yachts, skateboarding, and trying to decide which luxury car to go out drinking and driving in this weekend…. in a $200 tshirt with Dunhill emblazoned across their chest.
No! That is what "dunhill" is today. And, you know the difference, you're just trolling me! And, very successfully, I might add. bdw :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
For some reason I was thinking it was because they didn't want their name associated with pipe tobacco, which never made any sense to me because what else do they sell besides tobacco related products.
Fashion (clothing) and even booze (Dunhill branded Scotch) at one stage.
Not too sure if they are still involved with booze.

Status
Not open for further replies.