PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I saw Ronnie live on Heaven and Hell's last tour before he died. Amazing singer and great stage presence.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Neat, from my favorite Sabbath album. I saw them in 1980 with Blue Oyster Cult, the "Black & Blue Tour". RJD was amazing. I'm saw Rainbow a few times but Joe Lynn Turner was doing vocals at at point.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
I saw Sabbath on their first U.S. tour and was hooked. I recommend listening to their new album you might be surprised.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Alas, I've see from Duke Ellington and Count Basie to Sly and the Stone, and lets not forget Frank Zappa and Herbie Hancock. Just could not get in to metal...

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
@ghost No need to convert the vinyl to mp3's I have a laptop that is nothing but a jukebox with 16 gigs, around 3000 songs most all complete albums. I've downloaded everything that I like through IRC since the 90's. Tons of bootlegs. Now with Utube I've got about 150 bookmarked songs and full concerts and interviews.
@one Yeah he was one of the nicest and deep person I've ever met, and one of the reasons I loved spending time with him and his wife Wendy. I've so many stories but this one is probably the best.
When they toured of course they played venues close together. During the Mob Rules tour I traveled with Ronnie and Wendy for the 4 shows in PA and OH. Sabbath and especially Ronnie didn't do the whole groupie chicks on the bus thing. We traveled in a car and plane lols. But things at that time were at the highest Sabbath had ever been. The middle tour went to Europe and especially many dates in England. When they returned to the US I was spending the winter in Sarasota, FL and hooked back up with them for 3 shows. Things were totally different and Ronnie knew that it was over. The fans in England were all chanting "DIO" and treated Sabbath like a back-up band and Tony was a complete ass. Nobody was talking to each other and Ronnie was already writing songs for Holy Diver because he knew it was the end of his time with Sabbath. A few months later that's what happened.
When I talked to Wendy about 3 months before he passed the treatments were working and everyone thought he was going to be alright. Then I saw the news and finally got through to Wendy, she was a mess and ended up a condolence cry call. I spent 2 days watching videos and crying, for a year 24 hours a day nothing played in the house but Ronnie's songs. Every year I donate to his "Stand up and Shout" cancer fund, and buy from their online store with profits going to the charity. I wear a Ronnie James Dio rip rubber bracelet and haven't taken it off in years.
Yes he always wore heals and they broke off a lot in shows. He was about 5'3" and 90 pounds with a voice like a giant.
My favorite video (that's not a full concert) is this one. Last in Line/typical Ronnie adlib/Holy Diver/Last in Line finish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvUUj1OInCs&NR=1
Craig

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I mostly listen to classical Baroque and Renaissance music but I can appreciate and enjoy good musicianship in any genre. Metal in all its sub-genres can be very entertaining.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Crag: That is amazing you know someone like Ronnie so well. Was that Vivian Campbell on guitar in that video? He was on Eddie Trunks Satellite radio show a few months ago.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
The 11 year old girl is amazing !!!!!!

Jacqueline Mannering comes across like she can play in her sleep, fantastic.!!!!

I will say one thing about Vinyl.

Never Ever Get Rid Of Your Albums.!!!!!!!

In 86, had a move that required downsizing, I sold over 1500 Albums.

I REGRET it to this day.!!!!!!!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
@ssjones Yeah that's Vivian, I never really got to know him other than the quick party before and after the shows. I saw a video of an interview, not sure if it was the one, but he's doing a lot of DIO songs which he did help write on the first two albums. But Craig Goody replaced him and now that he and many of the other are in DIO's Disciples, which I've seen the last two tours and got to spent some time with the guys. You know that after posting last night I was up until 11 AM this morning watching concerts and a lot of crying. But it was a good thing I got up at 5PM and have been manic, getting a ton of things done. The site doesn't let you use the backslash but I usually use my "Forever m " fill in back slash, to end all rock posts on FB and other sites.
Craig

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Holy Crap these kids are GOOD!
I've been listening to them the last couple days on YouTube and I still cannot believe how well they play together and damn good they sound! My daughter, who is 11, wants to go see them live and I think I might be right along side her when we do. I must say these kids have some awesome talent and I'm very pleased to see they aren't making electronic 'noise' with spin tables, and computerized music production programs and synthesized keyboards that sound nothing like music. Too much of that crap already exists and I think it's time for a refreshment of Heavy Metal and Classic Heavy Metal.

Highschool was all about Sabbath, Dio, Metallica, NIN, Pantera, and the likes and these kids know what music is and what makes good music. Pretty chill parents IMHO.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Right on the head Cavendish, they've got a bunch of video covers and originals. Obviously from a family with some money, but pointed in the right direction. If they play close by me in Pittsburgh I'll be at the show. Hmmm what other Toronto band played their fist US show in Pittsburgh... RUSH! opening for Manfred Mann and Uriah Heep and blew us all away. She covers a lot of RUSH songs. It's funny they want to open for them in a Toronto show. A bit of a reach but you never know. They'll keep getting better and with more TV spots we'll be hearing a lot more of them. It was a little creepy seeing her play guitar and solo Johnny Cash's version of Hurt. The new hard rock partridge family lols.
Craig

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
Those kids on you tube that nailed 'Tool' ( I know not technically metal) wereare brilliant. The bass player and pig skin basher have big futures.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
Those kids on you tube that nailed 'Tool' ( I know not technically metal) wereare brilliant. The bass player and pig skin basher have big futures.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I agree on the creepiness of her singing Hurt haha! I can see how some ppl can be 'offended' by a young girl singing 'Whole Lotta Love' or any other metal or heavy song for that matter but it's what they love to do and their parents expand on it, and like you said point them in the right direction. Personally though, I'm not a fan of Rush even though I am a Canadian through and through their music just doesn't appeal to me. I like everything from country, to metal, classic rock, pretty much anything but rap, hip hop, pop or any sh*t like that. That stuff annoys me to no end that 'bump-tss, bump-tss, bump-tss-tss, bump-tss, bump-tss, etc' I hear that when I walk into a restuarant or a 'pub' I turn around and walk out.
I've watched almost every vid on their YT page, read alot of stuff on their website and I just can't believe how hard these kids are working towards something everyone else only dreams of doing. Their parents are the coolest parents on the planet too and I can't say that enough. I was raised in a very strict christian household and if I ever listened to Black Sabbath or anything like that with my parents within earshot they would probably try to burn me at the stake lol! My mom still makes comments about the music I listen to and yes I cuss like a soldier still and she gives me hell for that too, she's 62 and I'm 34 and still a baby in her eyes lol.
I know I will be buying a couple copies of their album when it comes out. One for me and one for my daughter so there's not arguing lol.

mongoose108

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
I'm pulling this thread out of the ashes....lol. 60 years old, and still love the old metal. Love Ronnie James Dio (RIP), but for me, Ozzie is the real Sabbath. I'd put Mountain as more of a heavy blues band, but still love to give them an occasional listen. The 11 year old is very good, but I have not warmed up to a female voice in metal yet, and I have tried. Good to see the Metal Heads here on the pipe forum!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
mongoose - Man digging this from way back, just when I come back from a hiatus. Just deleted a long post because much is already in the thread. 8) The major problem I have with Ozzie is after he was fired from Sabbath after five flop albums leaving only a few good songs, no longer wrote the lyrics or melodies for his songs. It's all ghost written, and without Randy Rhodes he was done. Ronnie from the doo-wop bands, ELF, Rainbow, Sabbath, DIO and Heaven & Hell not only wrote the lyrics and melodies but guitar parts. The first album with Sabbath (Heaven and Hell) is still the highest selling Sabbath album. Not even close on vocals and stage presence, voted the best in all heavy metal. In fact the heavy metal award is named after him.
Female vocals in heavy metal has always been a problem. Lita Ford who sang a duo with Ozzie, of course ghost written is probably the best. Duro does a lot of Dio songs and joins Dio's Disciples on tours singing with them. There are many European female metal bands they just can't make it to the US market.
Craig

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Their not a classic metal band, but my heroes from the 80's, The Kix, have released a new album that is doing quite well on Amazon. These guys bombed a lot of bars in the last 70's and into the early 80's with some success on MTV in the waning hair band days of the early 90's. It's good to see them keep rocking, the album is pretty good (although I don't like the song they featured, Love Me With Your Top Down). Steve Whitman can still sing and is an overall great guy.
http://www.kixband.com/music/rock-your-face-off/#.VBDiHaPgWSo

Status
Not open for further replies.